Thread: Which saw?

Default Which saw?

For those of you who use a compound miter saw to build your own equipment what size saw do you recommend?

I will be purchasing one soon for purposes unrelated to beekeeping and was planning to buy a 10" (non sliding) model. I think that would be sufficient for crosscuts on standard langstroth equipment but if not, I'd like to anticipate that, and get a saw that will meet my future needs.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Which saw?

I would get a 12" sliding miter saw is what I would get I just bought one and it will cut a full 12" rough cut board. I am much happery with a sliding saw veres a 12"non slider

10" or 12" sliding miter is the way to go for versatility. If all you will do is trim with it the 10" or 12" stationary is fine. As soon as you start with wider boards you will wish you had a slider.
    Leer Family Honey Farm-Shannon Leer

For BuzzBuzz. A Buzz saw.

If you're going to buy one saw I would suggest you get a radial arm saw. I just picked a used one up and although setup is slower than my cheapo table saw it will do almost everything the table saw can do and more.

A non slider will cut a 1x6 (5 1/2 in) if you tilt it. I'm a trim carpenter, and I wouldn't waist my money on one. You always learn (again), to get quality tools. You save time and money by spending more first. No way will it cut a 1x12.

I have a Dewalt 12 in. sliding compound cuts 12 in. crosscut ,about 9yr's old cuts like a top. I see now Dewalt has one that will cut 16 in.crosscut. But if you shop around radail arm used would be good unless you plan on cutting tall crown moulding. Look on craigslist. I build cabinets/furniture and have learn never buy cheap or something to get by with.

Deep supers are 9 5/8, usually cut from a 1 by 12. If you only make mediums and shallows, a 1 by 8 will suffice. As you mention, shop based on what you plan to do with the saw.

We use Dewalt 12" compound miter with slide. We have two of these that get used all the time and they hold up very well. Our oldest is at least 10 years and still does everything from cutting framing to crown moldings. I wouldn't take a radial arm saw if it was free.
    Mark

I have a 12" Dewalt sliding compound. Used to have a 10" stationary. No comparison! The stationary saw, as I recall, would not crosscut a 1x8. The 12" cuts 1x12, no problem. No sense wasting money, get the 12" sliding saw. I bought mine while they had a $100.00 rebate campaign, plus Home Depot was paying $20.00 for any electrical tool, any condition, you bring in. I recall that I got the price down to below $400.00 but that was 10 years ago. It paid for itself on the first kitchen cabinet job I did, as there were several different sizes of crown and other moldings. With the current construction crash I would look at pawn shops and check the newspaper. You'll be able to tell by the condition of the equipment if the guy took care of his tools.

I have a Hitachi slider,10". A little pricey but I am also a trim Carpenter, Or was. I had one stolen from my truck when I was working in the house, do you believe it? If I could catch a thief I would pound on him till he passed out I paid $500 for my 1st one. The last one cost just under $700 I think. Like I said, pricey. Once in a while I wish I had a 12" but not often. I also have a 16" in an emergency. That's what you had to use before the sliders came out to cut large cove. It's pretty scarey. Kinda like a car tire with teeth.

I have a 12 inch compound slider as well as a 7.25 inch stationary. I have the 12 inch on a collapsible table with wheels. The 12 inch weighs about 50 pounds and I got tired of lifting it so I got the table. That 12 inch will cut a 1x12 but for small jobs I like the lighter small saw. Get one of each.

Last year Menards was closing out their Makita line and I picked up a 10" slider and very happy w/ it. Had to take the first one back though, something was binding of the slide bars.

Thumbs Up Re: Which saw?

one thing I would consider is are you going to put in handles? or just cleats for the handles. hard to do on a sliding saw. on table saws look for long shaft so can use a dado blade for you handles. the newer saws have a short shaft on them I like the older craftsman saws unless you got lot of money buy a commercial saw.
    Don

I have a 10 inch slider, I bought from Lowes I think its called a FMC from austrailia, It was $150 with a lazer. Not to bad, works good, Next one will be a 12 inch probably a dewalt.
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!