Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hello from Eastern Montana

4K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Bee Kid 
#1 ·
Hello, I'm from cattle ranch in Eastern Montana. I haven't started beekeeping yet but I'm going to start as soon as the two feet of snow melts off and it warms up. I'm planning on getting nucs from a commercial guy nearby, but I'm not positive yet. I found a bee tree in a nearby draw but I'm not sure if they'll survive the harsh winter or not.

Bee Kid

#2 ·
welcome. nuc's are a good way to start i think. much better than packages especially here in Montana. I live over by bozeman and have had bees now for about 1 year. if you every need any advice this is the place to ask. there are a few of us montanan's on here so if you need local advice we can help.

#4 ·
Welcome, extricating a bee tree is probably not the best way to start. They will still be there when you are ready. I concur with the recommendation of a nuc over ppackage bees. It will be several weeks before package bees have bees emerging from the brood cells. If the queen is not mated that will take time. It is 3 weeks from the time the queen lays the eggs until they emerge as workers. They will not be able to fly for a couple more weeks. All this time your hive is dwindling because they cannot bring in food. Sorry for the lengthy explanation. As a Drill Instructor, it always made more sense if everyone knew why. They always did the how better and the when faster.

#5 ·
Thanks for the warm welcome:). If the bees in the tree survive I might try to catch the swarm in a hive body or buy a swarm trap, though they might not swarm at all or they might not survive the winter. For all of you thanks for the information.
Welcome, extricating a bee tree is probably not the best way to start.
I'm going to get nucs first but I'll see if they survive the winter or not. Thanks again.

Bee Kid

#7 ·
Hi Bee Kid! Since this is out in your direction, you may be interested in attending the MT Dept. of Agriculture's beekeeping class:

http://www.bigskybee.com/2010/03/glendive-mt-beekeeping-workshop.html

It is in Glendive, MT on May 8, 2010 - let us know if you go! The best part about the Kalispell class I went to? Networking with others :)

Also, if you are interested in TBH or Warre hives (and natural, chem-free beekeeping), there are other groups to network with online - send me a PM here if you are interested OK?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.