Default Nucs in New England

Just got the bad news my medium nucs ordered for May will no longer be available. I know medium nucs are not common. Anyone know of a source in the Northeast at this late date? I've geared up all my equipment for all 8-frame mediums. If I find regular deep frame nucs is there an easy way to transition to mediums? I really would prefer to start with nucs rather than packages.

Has anyone ever set up a 5 frame nuc in a deep with dummy frames on the outside and a medium brood box immediately above to encourage this transition? (set up a deep with dummy frames in positions 1,2 & 8, with 8 frame medium above).

Thanks,

Cy Brewster

Default Re: Nucs in New England

Just put the deep nuc frames in double medium boxes and use medium frames everywhere around them that they will fit. Gradually work the deep frames to the outside, either positions 1 or 8, then when they don't have brood in them, replace them with medium frames. I've done it, if you keep careful watch on them you can catch them before they make too awful much comb, where comb is not wanted.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

I couldn't find medium nucs last December so I'm not even going to try to look for them now. (I may have gotten the same email you did today.)

I had deep nucs ordered and my plan was to start with deep bodies with the nuc frames in the front half. Then medium frames in the rear with a wooden box under the medium frames to raise the floor to proper bee space. When those were filled and bees were working upstairs in the mediums I prefer, I planned to transition the deep frames out into a deep 20-frame long hive.

With the change of plans, I'm getting packages and plan to raise queens from my current hive so they will all have northern-bred queens going into next fall. They will all be going into mediums except for the double-deep long hive I'm building. The advantage I may have is that I've stockpiled medium frames with drawn comb to get packaged bees off to a faster start.

Good luck.

Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by bernanos View Post
    Just got the bad news my medium nucs ordered for May will no longer be available. I know medium nucs are not common. Anyone know of a source in the Northeast at this late date? I've geared up all my equipment for all 8-frame mediums. If I find regular deep frame nucs is there an easy way to transition to mediums? I really would prefer to start with nucs rather than packages.

Has anyone ever set up a 5 frame nuc in a deep with dummy frames on the outside and a medium brood box immediately above to encourage this transition? (set up a deep with dummy frames in positions 1,2 & 8, with 8 frame medium above).

Thanks,

Cy Brewster
    There's a place in RI that has medium nucs who I bought a few packages from last year. Beehavin.com is his website. Email him and ask about availability.
    Greg, originally from Maine

Erin with overlandhoney.com in Maine does medium nucs but i'm not sure she has any left. They go pretty fast.

I ordered 3 med nuks (7 frames) from Gooserock Farm in NJ. Not sure if they have any left. Here is their link: http://www.gooserockfarm.com/[/URL]

good luck,
    Kathy