Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

The do nots in beekeeping

32K views 97 replies 65 participants last post by  Brian Suchan 
#1 ·
I"m always talking to another beekeeper and you hear those stories.
Just heard one the other day. A beekeeper had just put his bee-go on the fume board and layed them on the back of the trunk. Then lite his smoker and sat it on the back of the truck and went to the cab to get his tool and vail. He look back to see his whole back of the truck on fire. :eek:

Fumes and flames don't go togehter.:no:

I didn't hear if he got his honey off that day.

#4 ·
A lit smoker can ignite a load of honey supers on the way to the next yard.
A free swinging(unsecured) boom loader WILL cause panic in oncoming traffic.
Pollen patties made too wet WILL fall down to the bottom board and make a real mess.Put them on a piece of wax paper.
Poorly secured hives CAN fall off the truck at the worst possible moment.
Not having an extra battery with you WILL guarantee that the fence battery will be dead at the next yard.
Leaving the extracting room to take a break, because everything is running smoothly,WILL guarantee a floor covered with honey when you get back.
Thats enough for now. I heard these things happened to someone else:rolleyes:

#5 ·
Got a few more minutes here so:
DO NOT drink a sixer before sitting in the beeyard all night with a 30-30 if you are serious about hitting the bear thats coming in.
Falling asleep while moving a pickup load of bees is a no no. Makes a bad job for the beek that gets called to clean up the mess so they can re-open the highway.
Make sure you are unloading in the right almond orchard:lpf:

#6 ·
Don't lite your smoker in a field of dry grass downhill from a multi million dollar mansion.
Again - a friend did this, with me standing next to him admonishing him to be careful.
Luckily there was a gravel path below the house to stop the flames, the fire department was quick to arrive, the owner wanted to plant a vineyard on the slope anyways.
What I learned - some grasses burn like gasoline. Watch out where you are when you lite your smoker.

#7 ·
Amen to that. Also watch out for driving through dry vegetation.A queen raising company went out of business after a fire that destroyed 29 homes and cost millions to contain in N Cal.
Cause:Beekeeper driving through dry grass.:(
Carry shovel and extinguisher during dry season.We cut screens for the inside of the smokers(homemade spark arrestor) .

#11 ·
-Do not assume because there are flowers in bloom that they are producing nectar.
-Do not answer the phone while you are filling a drum of honey from the holding tank. You get involved in the conversation and forget about the honey.
-Always walk the area of new yards where you will be driving and placing the bees. Just because the landowner says there is nothing(old machinery in the tall grass) on the ground doesn't mean he knows for sure.
-Just because no one has saw a bear in the area doesn't mean they are not there.

#21 ·
Never trust anyone when you ask "did you shut the door to the honey house?" Check it yourself.

Always put on the parking break when doing anything out of the truck.

Never load a semi with bees without a vail when a new guy is operating a swinger for the first time.

#25 ·
when leaving the bee yard, if you hear a loud clunk, stop and check if your tailgate is still up, as you excelerate on the tar road, the guy behind you will have a terrible time dodging the supers on the road.

if you remove the screen in the honey house to let the bees out b/4 its completely dark, remember to put it back in, they sure do gumb up the works.

remember to give the guy near your apiary honey after he loans you gas for the bee blower that you forgot.

#28 ·
Similar to some of the others, when walking across a field, watch your step! Carrying a hive across a grown up pasture....ahem...someone I know....stepped into a deep hole. Until three months after 'he' thought his beekeeping days were over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.