Thread: red cedar

Default red cedar

Been using cedar for making hive bodys and supers, but my pile is getting low. I talked to a guy this week that had some cedar 1x10 12ft. long for a dollar a board ft. This is a full 1x10 i can plane it down to 7/8. Is this a good price? This will cost around 6.00 a hive that will last a number of years.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

Default Re: red cedar

The western red cedar I use is around $2/board foot. $1 seems like a good price to me!

Good luck,
    Matt

The going price here in KY is about 75 cents a board foot. Red cedar is pretty knotty and such you may have to cut out some knot holes that seem loose. That will drive up your cost per hive. Consider that the timber market is still down pretty good and I would think you could get a little better price from him. But red cedar sometimes is a pricey item.

btw.... I am using eastern red cedar (aromatic) in much of my homemade equipment. It is very light weight! I have had a little trouble with it splitting out with time where the frame rest rabbit meets the side wall.

I went and looked at this lumber it has very few knots and i get to pick it.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.