Default From Nottoway VA via England!!

I'm new to beekeeping and in the process of moving from England to Nottoway County, VA. My wife and I have been living overseas for a number of years and are in the process of 'coming home.' We are both excited and nervous at the same time.

I have started learning about beekeeping by taking a course here in England. I'm learning a lot and am looking forward to applying my training in the field. As I begin this venture, it would be helpful to find someone who is knowledgeable about what apiary equipment is 'common' between the two countries. I don't want to buy and then ship too much equipment from here if it is off-standard in the US.

Thanks for your help and encouragement.

--Jeb

Default Re: From Nottoway VA via England!!

Welcome, hive equipment is not absolutely standard within the United States. Langstroth hives are standard around the world if the quality is good. Supers are 19 3/4 to 20 by 16 1/4. deeps are 9 5/8 tall, mediums (Illinois) are 6 5/8 tall, there is more variation in shallows 5 3/4 to 5 7/8 tall, bottom boards are 22 by 16 1/4. I do not think you will save a pence buying in England. Most of these supliers have online catalogs so you can see what is here.
    http://americasbeekeeper.com/Beekeeping_supplies.htm