Default new in Ocala Fl.

I will be pickimg up 2 9 frame med nucs from david miksa this weekend and beginning my learning journey in Ocala fl.I have not found a mentor yet but have read alot.I would love to have help from anybody in my area.

Default Re: new in Ocala Fl.

Welcome, you are in the best part of Florida to learn beekeeping. I author a couple websites that might help. We have classes every month at USF in Tampa.
    http://americasbeekeeper.com
    http://americasbeekeeper.org

Thanks for the invite,one of my concerns is a family of racoons.Besides fencing in and electric fence are there any other ways to protct hives.

I have never had problems with racoons, except with the chickens they have reached in the coop, they should not be a problem with bees, are you near any citrus, it is getting close to bloom time
    Bob

We lost most of citrus groves with big freeze in 80's but still have residental trees.I hope the coons will leave them alone,I prepared a fenced area but hope I don't have to use it.I can't hurt the coons because ther running out of habitat also.I'm not sure of what will be blooming but rying to find out. Thanks for the response.

Racoons will tear up a hive almost as fast as a bear. Keep the hive strapped together with a ratchet strap. Strap it to the hive stand if possible. If you can raise the hive a foot or two on a real stable stand that will help. You will still see tracks for a few nights, but the buffet line is closed when they cannot get in. They will give up in frustration. Ratchet straps work for teenagers too.

I thought they might be a problem so I have built a wire cage with a top I can secure to get started.I'm thinking about electrified fence to give them a little jolt.Seems like there was enough to learn without battling critters.

welcome
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Fellow Floridian here!

Just a little bit southwest of you. Glad to hear of more people in the area.

We should schedule a meetup or something sometime.

I will be looking for all the help I can get,where are you at in Citrus county?