Did my first cut-out last week...from the ceiling in an unoccupied 2nd story apartment. It was a straighforward job and went without a hitch.
Kudos to iddee...I built and used a vac that he posted here quite some time ago. Truthfully, I could find no bee's that did not survive the vacuuming...all seemed to do well.
Lots and lots of bee's...very little in honey stores...lots of capped brood. I saved the brood and tied in frames then reunited the bee's when we were finished. I really like iddee's bee vac...easy to make...love the removable floor for transfering the bee's to their new home.
After this good experience I got to wondering how on Earth one could do a cutout without a nice bee vac like this. Without out one, I imagine it would be challenging to save the bee's...not get stung...and not end up with even more of a sticky mess. I cannot imagine doing a cutout without one now.
I would like to hear experiences from those who have done cutouts "without" a vac...their procedures...troubles...perhaps hints for being sucessful sans bee vac.
Many thanks to iddee for sharing this design with us!