Default Beehives in Kentucky how to check ?

We have had a really bad winter here with temps that when into the single digit for about 12 nights in a row. Today it's almost 40 degrees and looking at my 6 hives I am worried.
    I haven't seen a many dead bees when I pull the screens on the bottom boards. Just a few every few weeks. However I'm not hearing any buzzing sounds. Are they just holding a tight bunched up group and being quiet. I had the hives wrapped for the winter, just in case it got really cold. I have a headache thinking about it.
    Should I just wait it out ? I placed 2 orders for packaged bees already to start 2 new hives. However I am thinking I may need to place an order for more. OH my head hurts ! This will be my 3rd summer with the bees, I thought I was getting smarter, guess not.

Default Re: Beehives in Kentucky how to check ?

You're getting smarter, you're in your third year!
    Watch the landing board, see what's going on there.
    Get an inexpensive stethoscope, and listen to all four sides of the hive.
    On a nice day, pop the covers and take a look, but be sure it's over 50, and don't pull frames. Just look down in (I'd wear a veil just in case!).
    They will surprise you!
    Regards,
    Steven
    "If all you have is a hammer, the whole world is a nail." - A.H. Maslow

Default Re: Beehives in Kentucky how to check ?

You dont scope....just put ear to hive and peck on it with your knuckle...you will hear the hum if alive!...Forget the Russians! Use Italians or carnolian/italian cross.
    Last edited by suttonbeeman; 02-22-2010 at 01:04 PM.