Default 1st warm day, ouch.

Well here in Virginia we had almost a 4 week arctic freeze in December and January. Then it broke and I looked in on my 19 colonies and wow they were all good and I was shocked. Then after a one week break from that we get pounded by three weeks of record breaking snow and cold. Today is the 1st warm day since and I just looked at the 8 colonies here at the house and only 4 of them are flying Tomorrow I will get to go around and check them all but it does not look good. I think who ever coined the phrase one step forward and two steps back must have been a beekeeper.

Default Re: 1st warm day, ouch.

Today was the first warm day in 2010 for me also. My queen disappeared for a while in late summer, so they were down in numbers going into winter even after requeening. Add to that a dearth in midsummer that I didn't recognize until their numbers were way down, and I was pretty apprehensive when I peeked under the cover. Turns out they're still alive in there, and a bit more active than I expected. So active, in fact, that one of them zipped out and stung my poor mother (standing behind me) right on on the chin! I put the outer cover back on and fixed her up right away--scraped off the stinger, covered the site with baking soda/water paste (does wonders for me), and gave her a Benadryl. I hope she won't hold it against my bees!

How are other folks' hives looking?
    --
    Take everything I say with a grain of sand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben View Post
    Today is the 1st warm day since and I just looked at the 8 colonies here at the house and only 4 of them are flying
    Not flying does not equal dead. Not sure where fairfield is, but in northern virginia I peaked in all of my bees today (just under the inner cover) and am batting 100 so far but none were flying if just looking from the outside.
    karla

The girls do not like to venture out below fifty something. My teaching hive looked dead in Tampa, Florida last Saturday until the sun warmed it up to 50. All the girls took the opportunity for a poop flight after it warmed up.

Quote Originally Posted by winevines View Post
    Not flying does not equal dead. Not sure where fairfield is, but in northern virginia I peaked in all of my bees today (just under the inner cover) and am batting 100 so far but none were flying if just looking from the outside.

It was 60 here last week and they werent flying at all. Today is 70, they are all good and all over.
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

Today was a tease of Spring..mid 60's sunny..ohhh so nice! Bees zooming in and out, undertakers dumping dead, and those coming back are loaded with pollen..some bright yellow some greyish yellow..not sure what they are working but there was LOTS coming in! WOO HOO!
    Buffalo Lick Farm & Nursery
    http://www.buffalolick.com

Temp peaked at 55 here today and all the hives were very busy. Had girls here at the house poking around wooden ware I had brought outside to get cleaned up for the season with their hives at least 300 yds away...

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    The girls do not like to venture out below fifty something. My teaching hive looked dead in Tampa, Florida last Saturday until the sun warmed it up to 50. All the girls took the opportunity for a poop flight after it warmed up.

It got to 39 yesterday and min e were flying.

[QUOTE=winevines;505637]Not flying does not equal dead. QUOTE]

This is true and I hope to check in on them tomorrow but I think something is up when only 4 hives out of a row of 8 are flying. I'll update when I find out, hopefully they are good.