Default Outdoor Observation Hive

Our museum is interested in building an outdoor observation hive. I keep an Ulster observation hive and am contemplating building a great big one on an 8 or 10 frame hive body with a 2 frame observation "attic" with the queen upstairs almost permanently. What do you guys think? What about some other design? Or should I just recommend that they pass on the whole deal considering that it is planned for a public area?

Default Re: Outdoor Observation Hive

the problem with confining the queen to an area that small is she doesn't have enough room to lay enough brood, they'll swarm
    build a conventional hive with windows in the boxes

http://drobbins.net/bee%27s/window/window.html

I did this in my backyard and it was way cool
    you could make the ulster type top area and stick the queen up there for special events

here's a couple other ideas

http://outdoorplace.org/beekeeping/obs1.htm

Dave

The queen is above a queen excluder section in an Ulster observation hive and they aren't going anywhere without her.

queen excluders wont stop my mutts anymore than clipping wings. when i was laid up (ill) in the spring, they just waited for the virgin to hatch and swarmed with her. your milage may vary then again, my favorate curse when i get stung is "you ungratefull...!" so maybe its just MY mutts. good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

I remember seeing an OH in the Smithsonian when I was a kid. Consider calling them up to ask for more information.