Hybrid View

Default Staple size for boxes and frames

Worked for a commercial beek who used 16 gauge staples for frames and boxes.

I don't recall the length.

A little help?

Default Re: Staple size for boxes and frames

1 1/4" staples

You use one size for both?

Must be that time of year to build boxes. Several posts about construction, fasteners, paints, etc, are popping up.
    I use 2 1/2" 16g staples. The only reason that I use the big staples is that they tend to force the joint together. My goal is to have a tight joint that excludes water and is held together with a water proof glue and sealed with a good paint.
    If you use big staples keep your hands at least 2 1/2" from the joint when pulling the trigger. I built cabinets when I was young and in a rapid fire setting must have nailed myself half a dozen times. Nails tend to come out the sides with crazy grain or knots so be careful.

I've been using the narrow crown 1 5/8 staples for the frames. 2 in the top bars, 2 in the side bars, and 2 for the bottom bars. we had used these staples a long time ago as well and i was surprised how well they hold even without glueing frames.

i've been using a nail gun with glue tip, ribbed, 2 5/8 and about 8 gauge nails. very impressive I must say. I paint my supers with a solid color oil stain.

HVH, I know what your talking about holding the frame further down. I was 14 when I was putting frames together for a beek and a staple curved out the side and went through the tender flesh between my thumb and pointer finger. learnt a good lesson that day.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

I never had any luck with 1 1/4" long staples on boxes. 1 1/2" seem to be the minimum to keeping the box together. 1" work fine for frames. 1 1/4" also work fine for frames.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by chillard willard View Post
    HVH, I know what your talking about holding the frame further down. I was 14 when I was putting frames together for a beek and a staple curved out the side and went through the tender flesh between my thumb and pointer finger. learnt a good lesson that day.
    Took one to the knuckle this last year.
    Those 2 1/2" roofing staples can really hurt but they are great for sucking the parts together when there is a little warping/cupping.