I'm seeking some advice on several fronts. I'm a second year beek in NC. I revently lost one of my 2 hives to a windstorm, but still have one colony that's very strong (from a captured June swarm) with plenty of remaining stores for the month or so of chilly weather ahead.
My plans/questions are as follows:
Since This colony is so strong I was thinking about making a split.
- advised? or just get a package/nuc?
- if I do split, when? (our swarms start in early march)
- if I'm going to split, should I start feeding? (the hive that I lost has some frames of honey/pollen I can move over)
- recommended method? Double screen board?
I figure that a split may stunt things temporarily with regard to honey production, but NC has two major nectar flows: One where I live (Tulip Poplar/Blackberrry), and one immediately afterwards in the Mountains (Sourwood).
- Sound ok? Anything I'm missing?
-Think I'll get some Honey from each colony if all goes well?
Thanks much in advance.