Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Reinstate the Boy Scout Beekeeping Merit Badge!

6K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  christopher Stowell 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I have been in contact with the folks that are doing that Petition drive, which will be linked into this shortly. (They were supposed to contact me when that went up, but you guys beat me to it). The scout shown there is the one from our local club who got this project started.

Neil

#4 ·
This ezine is also available online at http://home.ezezine.com/1636/1636-2010.02.24.16.04.archive.html

CATCH THE BUZZ

The brand announced today it is also joining forces with 13 year-old Boy Scout Christopher Stowell, Troop 250, Skiatook, OK. Christopher is also a beekeeper and is petitioning the Boy Scout Council for reinstatement of the Boy Scout Beekeeping merit badge that was discontinued in 1995. To sign the letter and petition, visit “The Buzz” page at http://www.helpthehoneybees.com/#buzz.

“Now, more than ever before, the survival of the honey bee is important to us all,” said Stowell. “If other kids are not encouraged to learn how to become beekeepers, the honey bee will surely die out.”

“Christopher is an amazing advocate for honey bees and serves as a great example of learning about a problem and working to find a solution,” said Mara Lowry, Häagen-Dazs brand manager. “It’s because of people like him that we continue to be encouraged and inspired to work to help both bees and beekeepers, and we urge everyone to do their part. Signing this letter and petition is one small but impactful thing people can do.”

Häagen-Dazs loves Honey Bees™ Program Encourages Consumers to Take Part

Committed to being part of the solution, the Häagen-Dazs brand is renewing its efforts for a third year to help in the preservation of honey bees and nature’s finest ingredients. In 2010, Häagen-Dazs ice cream will continue to support Pennsylvania State University and the University of California, Davis, bringing the brand’s total donation to $620,000 over the past three years. In addition to university funding, the Häagen-Dazs brand is also continuing its Vanilla Honey Bee ice cream flavor and HD loves HB™ icon labeling on all packages of bee-built flavors of ice cream, sorbet, frozen yogurt and bars to drive awareness of the ongoin g issue.

The brand encourages everyone to find a way to become a bee crusader, and do their part to help save the honey bees. Here’s how to make a difference:

Start a hive and become a backyard beekeeper – your garden will thank you for it. Look for a beekeeping club in your area to help you get started.

Create a bee-friendly garden with plants that attract honey bees. Select a plant with a long growing season or a group of plants that together will offer flowers from spring through fall. A great resource for information can be found at www.helpthehoneybees.com, or from the horticulturalist at your local plant nursery.

Avoid insecticides in your garden. Instead, promote good bugs (called ‘beneficial insects’) – bugs that will happily eat the bad bugs chomping on your plants. More information is available at www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/ and http://horticulture.psu.edu/extension/mg.

When you buy a Häagen-Dazs ice cream bee-built product, a portion of the proceeds of the sale go toward helping the honey bees.

Tell a friend – Visit www.helpthehoneybees.com to send a Bee-Mail or to create your own animated honey bee to help spread the word.

Visit the Häagen-Dazs Bee Store at www.helpthehoneybees.com – All proceeds from our bee store will fund CCD and sustainable pollination research at Penn State and UC Davis.

About Häagen-Dazs loves Honey Bees™

Alarmingly, over the last three winters, more than one in three bee colonies died nationwide. Researchers are calling the mysterious bee disappearance Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD). Because the Häagen-Dazs brand uses only all-natural ingredients in its recipes, more than 50 percent of the brand’s flavors are bee-built, meaning they use ingredients pollinated by the bees.

In 2008, the Häagen-Dazs brand launched the HD loves HB campaign to create awareness of the honey bee crisis. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of HD loves HB labeled flavors fund sustainable pollination and CCD research at Pennsylvania State University and University of California, Davis, totaling $620,000 over three years.

About Häagen-Dazs

Crafted in 1960 by Reuben Mattus in his family’s dairy, Häagen-Dazs is the original superpremium ice cream. True to tradition, Häagen-Dazs is committed to using only all-natural ingredients in crafting the world’s finest ice cream. Truly made like no other, today Häagen-Dazs ice cream offers a full range of products from ice cream to sorbet, frozen yogurt and frozen snacks in more than 65 flavors. Häagen-Dazs products are available around the globe for ice cream lovers to enjoy. For more information, please visit www.Häagen-Dazs.com.

Subscribe to Malcolm Sanford’s Apis Newsletter right here For a comprehensive listing of beekeeping events around the country and around the globe, check out Bee Culture’s Global Beekeeping Calendar

This message brought to you by Bee Culture, The Magazine Of American Beekeeping, published by the A.I. Root Company.

#5 ·
BSA today, really leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I was a scout, as were both of my brothers, and my dad, who was born in 1912. Scouting was started by an old Plainsman, who saw that outdoor skills were being lost rapidly, and he did not like it. He wanted outdoor skills to be passed on to the younger generation, and never forgot. How much has the BSA mission changed! And this change has not been for the better. If they reinstate the beekeeper merit badge, it will be a step in the right direction.

#6 ·
Everybody is entitled to think whatever they want about BSA. However, I want to be clear that this effort is not, in any way, shape or form, an effort to criticize BSA. This effort is being led by a 13 year old Scout, who loves scouting, loves beekeeping and wants to see the two activities get together.

To the extent that anybody has complaints about BSA, please just try to make BSA better by helping to get this badge reinstated.

No criticism of anybody is intended. I just want to keep this effort aimed in the right direction.

Thanks,

Neil

#7 ·
hi, I am christopher Stowell. I am 13 and a Beekeeper. I am a boy scout and in troop 250 in Skiatook ok. I want toTHANK every one for supporting the efforts to get the boys scout BEE KEEPing merit badge reinstated. The more people who sign the peittion the better and the more beekeepers who sign up saying they will be willing to teach about bees is great. I will be at the oklahoma state bee meeting this week end. Hope to see some of you there.
Christopher Stowell
Troop 250

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.