Default frame too big for super

Hi all!

We just got an English Garden hive from Brushy Mountain Bee Supply, and bought a nuc from the local supplier. The frames that came with the nuc were taller than the frames from Brushy Mountain hive.

The Brushy Mountain hive is supposed to have two supers with 8 frames each

What we ended up doing was stacking the two supers on top of each other because the frames were too tall otherwise, so we only have 5 frames in the super (two small supers stacked on top of each other). Is this going to be a problem? What do you suggest we do?

Thanks !

Default Re: frame too big for super

Welcome to Beesource!

The Brushy Mountain English Garden hive is comprised of 8-frame medium hive bodies. A typical nuc is using deep frames.

With multiple inches of empty space below the deep frames, the bees sooner or later are likely to draw comb below the bottom of the frames, and if you only have 5 frames in an 8 frame box, you will likely get freeform combs built next to the frames. That will make the combs hard to manage, fragile and result in a mess.

In the short term, you can block that space to make it harder for the bees to build comb there, but in the longer term, the deep frames should be either cut down, or abandoned or build a shim to accommodate the deep frames.

I think that I would create a shim that matches the length & width of the hive bodies, but is about 3 inches high. Use the shim below one box (and remove the second box) so that the deep frame fits the box + shim and still leaves beespace below the bottom of the frame. As the hive grows, add medium boxes to the top of medium where the deep frames are. At some point, you could work to remove the deep frames (and the shim) as the brood nest moves onto the upper medium frames. Or you could just leave the hive as a combo of deep & medium frames.

Note that you should either fill out the box with new deep frames so that you have 8 frames, or block the area to stop it being used for freeform comb building.

Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 05-28-2016 at 09:42 PM.
    Graham
    . . . . . . "those who want to see, can see". - - [Oldtimer - 2016]

Smile Re: frame too big for super

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Welcome to Beesource!

The Brushy Mountain English Garden hive is comprised of 8-frame medium hive bodies. A typical nuc is using deep frames.

With multiple inches of empty space below the deep frames, the bees sooner or later are likely to draw comb below the bottom of the frames. That will make the combs hard to manage and fragile.

In the short term, you can fill that space to make it harder for the bees to build comb there, but in the longer term, the deep frames should be either cut down, or abandoned.
    Good to know! Thank you so so much! So how do I convince the bees to move from the deep frames to the medium frame? What does abandoning a frame typically involve?

One final question- I didn't see the queen when I moved the frames from the nuc to the super. I was told to assume that she was just in the frame somewhere, and how worried should I be that I didn't see her (I know intellectually what she looks like, but there were a lot of bees and they all started to look the same). I moved everything about an hour ago, should I go back and look for her?

thanks again!!!

Shinbone has an alternative to my shim, see post #4 of this thread:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-Medium-Supers
    A handy person could just cut a sheet of plywood to make that nuc intro board.

If you use that board with the deep nuc below the board, and the 8 frame boxes on top, make sure you use some blocking around the underside of the transition board so that the whole assembly is supported properly and stable.

As far as looking for the queen, instead just look for evidence of her presence. If you have eggs (hard to see) the queen is there within 3 days. If you have uncapped larva (much easier to see), the queen was there within 8 days. Let your queen spotting skill develop over time.
    Graham
    . . . . . . "those who want to see, can see". - - [Oldtimer - 2016]

Or you could just buy an eight frame deep box and put the frames in that. Might disturb the proportions of the hive, but the bees most assuredly to NOT care. Doing so will make the hive easier to manage with the correct boxes for the frames.

If you want to change to all mediums in the future, leave the deep on the bottom of the hive over winter. Typically the bees move up as they eat their honey stores over winter, and in Feb the bottom box will usually contain no brood and minimal stores. You can take it off before the bees brood up and replace it with a medium of foundation.

I would just put a deep on and leave it. You don't need to move it much, and if your hive does well, you are going to be putting plenty of supers on anyway.

Peter

If you go the "buy a deep box" route, be sure to buy additional frames to fill it up, if you have 5, you need 3 more for an 8 frame configuration..If you you are not particularly handy with a hammer & saw this is probably the simplest way to handle it, but do not delay ... the bees will be making comb daily.
    Good luck CE
    Started summer of 2013, just another new guy, tinkering with bees.