Thread: the wall

Thumbs Up the wall

my wife was reading this on line about a 6ft wall in front of the hives ,and I also seen an article on this it explains that the bees fly a straight line so they tell you too put up a wall to make them go straight, or they may hit people if there close buy im not for this just wondering what you guys think .thanks

Default Re: the wall

If you put up a wall infront of them they will fly up over the wall. It is nice to have them not fly into people. Neighbors and the city get mad if you have your hives bothering the sidewalkers as they walk past your property.

I put in a moat to keep people from walking across my property.

Quote Originally Posted by EastSideBuzz View Post
    If you put up a wall infront of them they will fly up over the wall. It is nice to have them not fly into people. Neighbors and the city get mad if you have your hives bothering the sidewalkers as they walk past your property.

I put in a moat to keep people from walking across my property.
    That AR will work good for that too.

I put up a shade screen around mine in my yard. I can mow around them and just look over it to check on them. I also think it helps to have a color background to see them flying around.

Does your situation require their flight pattern altitude to be altered to avoid people? If so, put in the obstruction; if not, leave them be. Remember to couple the KISS principle with necessity.

In snow country it is important to consider the "snow fence" effect. Snow is concentrated downwind of the fence. Upwind fencing can cause much of the snow to fall right on the hives ( good insulation, but a pain to work around).
    After 40 years of beekeeping, I've come to realize that the bees can fix most of my mistakes.

Thanks for all the info guys