Default Nurse Bee Question

Rookie question... What happens to the nurse bees that are accidentally shaken off outside the hive. Like maybe while doing sugar rolls or splits. I imagine that they crawl or fly back, but how do they find the entrance never having oriented...?
    4 hives, 8 frame, mediums; pacific coast; zone 8b; long, cool, wet winter; mild summer; 90" avg. rainfall

Default Re: Nurse Bee Question

They will return to the nearest hive they can find. Beg their way in if it's not the original hive and start working.
    Thomas Bartram

Thanks. It's good to know they're not doomed to die. Still I think I'll shake frames with a little more care...
    4 hives, 8 frame, mediums; pacific coast; zone 8b; long, cool, wet winter; mild summer; 90" avg. rainfall

>...but how do they find the entrance never having oriented...?

By smell. Honey bees have 165 odorant-receptor genes. This is twice what Drosophila (fruit flies) and Anopheles (mosquitos) have. They will smell and crawl if they have to or fly if they can and go into the first hive they encounter.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 41y 200h 38yTF