Default February hive feeding MA

Opened up ones of the hives out back when it was a little warmer on Tuesday. 2 deep setup, found the cluster at the top of the top deep. Presumably they had worked their way up from the bottom? Gave them 1 1/2 lbs of fondant. How long will 1 1/2 lbs last them? I'm assuming they have gone through the rest of their stores and I'll have to keep feeding them fondant until at least the middle of March when I could start giving them syrup? Another alternative is that I have a dead hive next to them, another 2 deep setup. Bees died sometime in the last 2 weeks, many dead bees on the top bars of top deep and also on top of the inner cover, much much dark staining, dysentry? Anyway the top deep has a least 6 full frames of capped honey and I believe there is more in the bottom deep as I can't heft the 2 of them together. Could I, should I, clean up that top deep and move it over to the one that I just added fondant to? Any hints or suggestions much appreciated.

Default Re: February hive feeding MA

Bring the frames of capped honey into your house for a night or two to warm them up before putting them into your surviving hive. Make sure it is a warm 40 plus day before you open it up again.

Quote Originally Posted by Highwoods John View Post
    Bring the frames of capped honey into your house for a night or two to warm them up before putting them into your surviving hive.
    Very good idea! It would make those honey filled frames that much more appealing for them to move up onto.

You might consider using you comb scratcher and scatch the capped honey so that the bees can use it right away. Place the scatched honey frame next to the cluster so the bees can access it and move it into theur cluster.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/