Thread: Black ants.

Default Black ants.

Last season I had a really agressive ant problem. They ate right through my beemax covers and feeders. They looked like Swiss cheese. The area thst I have on this property is the only spot. I'm afraid that they are just waiting in a huge underground coloney waiting for this season. What can I do to slow down this attach?

Default Re: Black ants.

I also had allot of earwigs above the inner cover. Hundreds. What are they after. This was at a separate location.

Quote Originally Posted by Jas0n Bresson View Post
    Last season I had a really agressive ant problem. They ate right through my beemax covers and feeders. They looked like Swiss cheese. The area thst I have on this property is the only spot. I'm afraid that they are just waiting in a huge underground coloney waiting for this season. What can I do to slow down this attach?
    You will have to locate and kill the ants in their location.
    earwigs can be killed with baits. earwigs can also be killed by making newspaper balls and lay them near the hive, pick the newspaper up in the cool of the morning and drop into a fire pit.
    I have to battle the Argentine ant in couthern Calif. with ant granules and or sprays. Locate and destroy the Argentine ants is a continual process
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I think earwigs are a common thing. We have them in TN too in the warmer months.
    De Colores,
    Ken

A few old timers told me to take fresh cut apple twigs and line the inner cover with them. They seemed to help some. I thought I remembered folks on here saying the same thing.
    Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.
    Thomas A. Edison

i took some of those ant hotal type things and put them under the hive
    they eat it and take it back home and kill the larvae of the ants - after a few weeks the ants are gone!!!!!

the earwigs are another pest that i cant seem to get past

I had a bad ant problem last summer and tried various ways to keep them out of the hive. In the end the solution I ended up with was complicated but effective:

I built a platform to hold four hives mounted on 4 4x4 legs. The legs are each standing in 1" of vegetable oil in a shallow 6"x6" pan. The legs also have tanglefoot applied to all four sides about 4" above the oil line. Because we have significant rain in the Bay Area, The legs also have an 8"x8" 'roof' mounted on them over the oil pan to keep the rain out of the oil.

Since I have invested in this solution (and as long as I am diligent in inspecting for stray pieces of grass or sticks that touch the platform and bypass the oil barrier), I have had no problem with insects reaching my hives.

I think that finding a solution to keep the insects from reaching the hive is a more practical and environmentally friendly solution that trying to launch a search and destroy comapign.

-fafrd

My hives are on stands that I built out of scrap deck lumber. I cover the legs with marine grease and the ants don't cross it. I am afraid of ant baits, if the girls take some in a hive you could really have some problems.

I once placed a hive right next to a vary large oak that turned out to be the biggest army ant(large black ones)home ever, I think I could have killed them with 100 gallons of pesticide but tangle foot solved the problem.