Default Neighbors wedding

Just found out that my neighbor is planning a wedding this summer at his house for 200 people. Last summer it was real hot and the bee's took over his water feature and he said he could not use his back yard. This summer I am going to add my own water feature but, that does not guarantee that my girls wont visit his feature.

Last year I had 9 hives split to 11 and I have ordered 25 more packages. So I could have a couple more girls this year then last.

So my question is what can be done to make sure my girls do not go into his family's wedding album and we make Oprah's worst weddings episode.

I was thinking about blocking in the girls the night before and keeping them in the hives that day. Also need to make his water feature less tasty.

All ideas welcome except keep in mind that is the one neighbor I actually like.

Default Re: Neighbors wedding

So your gonna have what 35 -40 ish hives. Unless you had REALLY good yeild I would suggest finding a out yard and have 20 in each. just my two cents.
    Chris Cree
    Cree's Bees

I am pretty sure there is plenty to eat around here. I am working on an out-yard for a few. But, does not solve my immediate problem unless I move all of them.

How close in proximity are you to your neighbors. You are talking about more than tripling the number of bees at your place by the time mid-summer comes along.

Did your neighbor approach you and tell you that your bees made his living space in his backyard unusable or did you see that for yourself?

I think that it would be a great idea to provide your own water source, but bees being bees, well who knows where they will land for their water.

You may want to consider getting an outyard if only to keep your friendships, especially since you are going to triple the number of hives under your care.

My other thoughts are that if your bees become a nuisance, then your neighbors may seek redress thru your local government agency, which clearly will make all of you unhappy.

OH forgot to mention. We are rural all on 5,10"s and 20"s. Neighbor is 500-750 feet away. I have 5.5 acres. 5 acres or less is 50 hives. 5+ has no legal limit.

(1) Beehives are limited to 50 on sites less than five acres ;

(2) The number of beehives shall not be limited on sites of five acres or greater;

(3) Colonies shall be maintained in movable-frame hives at all times;

(4) Adequate space shall be provided in each hive to prevent overcrowding and swarming;

(5) Colonies shall be requeened following any swarming or aggressive behavior;

(6) All colonies shall be registered with the County Extension agent prior to April 1st of each year, on a state registration form acceptable to the county; and

His wife told me that they had wondered why there were more bee's then usual in the yard. I think that when we had the heat wave they got thirsty. We live in WA so most of the time they can find water all around them but, that was an exceptionally hot week.

We are working on our own water feature with water fall etc for the back yard for them to play in.

What do you think about shutting them in for the day?
    Last edited by EastSideBuzz; 02-13-2010 at 11:01 PM.

Shutting them in for the day -- I shut my bees up for most of the morning and early afternoon due to a farmer spraying and the sun heated the hives even though it was semi shaded, the bees exploded out of the hives when I opened them up. This was late May 2009. I had a Wooden Bottom Board and they did not get adequate ventilation.

Since the friendship is desired and you have serious concern that they might disrupt the wedding affair, I would close them up and provide as much ventilation as you can. You may want to put them on Screened Bottom Boards and screen inner covers and prop up the hive cover.

I keep bees and photograph weddings. Shut them up for the day. Last summer I was working out on the barn and I had bees all over me licking up my sweat. I'd hate to have 200 sweaty guests covered in bees.
    Best of luck.

Brushy mt sells a screen door. You could make one or buy those. They are for closing off a hive without them suffocating. A screened inner cover (also available at Brushy Mt. I think) would also help. I'd make sure they have water (some kind of feeder full of water) so they can keep cool and don't have a meltdown.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    I'd make sure they have water (some kind of feeder full of water) so they can keep cool and don't have a meltdown.
    I have top feeders on my hives with a mason jar hole in the top. Should I fill that with water or sugar water for the day?

I think I will take 1x2 and make a box on edge same size as my deeps. Drill some holes and screen it. When it is on, there is ventilation on top, put in screened bottom boards should make plenty of ventilation. Use top feeders and there is water/sugar water and close them in for the day.

Does that sound good.? Happy photographers and wedding go'ers.

If the weather is likely to be hot I would rig up a water spray system for the day spraying all the hives keeping them cool and make them think it was raining(just light rain), but then I do not know your water supply details perhaps your have hose ban. The thing is the wedding is just one day, but they are your neighbours the for the rest of the time.

SBB and STB close them up for the day. Bee a courtious bee keeper, and thank him for letting you know about the wedding.May bee you could ask if you could display your honey forsale on the cake table. Just joking

I used to live in an ag area. They would notify me the day before they they sprayed. I would cover my 10-14 hives with canvas tarps and cloth sheets and wet them down with water.

+1 Shut them in for a couple of days. Tell your neighbor what you are doing to solve the issue (your own water source and the moving screens). I am sure they will appreciate the effort. Remember the rehearsal dinner, if it is an outdoor event the bees would not be welcome.

As for the zoning laws, some wisdom from Paul might give some guidance All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable All things are lawful, but not all things edify. 1 Cor 10:23
    49 hives on less than 5 acres seems a bit uninformed.
    RKR
    Last edited by rkr; 02-14-2010 at 06:32 PM.
    4 seasons 19 Hives-Camp Branch Bee Ranch. Est 2009
    "I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect."

Oh to keep your bees at home Spike your water source with Honey B heathy to get them to go to your scource. So best of luck to you and my your neighbor keep getting along.
    99.99% of questions can be answered by Just reading books.

>I have top feeders on my hives with a mason jar hole in the top. Should I fill that with water or sugar water for the day?

Water is the main thing so they don't overheat. They probably have stores. A sprinkler on the hives (assuming you don't have a screened top with no lid at the time) would help keep them cool and make them less wanting to get out because of the simulated rain.

>I think I will take 1x2 and make a box on edge same size as my deeps. Drill some holes and screen it. When it is on, there is ventilation on top, put in screened bottom boards should make plenty of ventilation. Use top feeders and there is water/sugar water and close them in for the day.

All of those are handy things for moving hives too...

>Does that sound good.? Happy photographers and wedding go'ers

That should do it.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Lock all of 'em down the night before with #8 hardware and don't let 'em out until the day after. If you can vent top with #8 that may help the bees, if not let 'em sweat.

This is her day and you are obligated to do everything possible to prevent the smallest mishap.