Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: can laying workers kill a laying queen in a combine?

I don't have any experience with laying workers and shaking. But seems to me that if you did the 50' move and shake and put the hive entrance down to the smallest entrance using a reducer any fighting would take place out side the hive. If they let the other foragers in the small entrance wouldn't that be a sign of acceptance?
    De Colores,
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Bush View Post
    >It is the brood pheromone that suppresses the laying workers, not the queen pheromone. That's why it works.
    Got it. So the presence of brood in thre hive (and with it brood pheromone, will get the laying workers to stop laying. I think I am going to give this manipulation a try.

Any idea how quickly the presence of the brood pheromone will act to suppress the laying workers?

I just happen to have an observation hive which has created a queen cell which will hatch on Wednesday - if I place that frame including brood and the soon-to-hatch queen cell in the laying worker hive, is that likely to be to quick and are they likely to ball the virgin queen once she hatches?

Three weeks is the time it takes the hive to create a new queen cell and hatch her, but is that also the amount of time needed for the brood pheromone to suppress the laying workers or could the laying workers be suppressed more quickly once exposed to brood and brood pheromone?

I don't want to waste this queen cell needlessly, but if there is a chance that she could be accepted and accelerate the process of the hive becoming queenright, I might be tempted to give it a try.

-fafrd

>Any idea how quickly the presence of the brood pheromone will act to suppress the laying workers?

Usually between two and three weeks.

>I just happen to have an observation hive which has created a queen cell which will hatch on Wednesday - if I place that frame including brood and the soon-to-hatch queen cell in the laying worker hive, is that likely to be to quick and are they likely to ball the virgin queen once she hatches?

I have put queen cells in laying work er hives and had them accept her. I'd put the odds lower than a normal queenless nuc, but it's worth doing if you have a cell.

>Three weeks is the time it takes the hive to create a new queen cell and hatch her, but is that also the amount of time needed for the brood pheromone to suppress the laying workers or could the laying workers be suppressed more quickly once exposed to brood and brood pheromone?

Adding open brood at the same time as the cell (or sooner) will help tip the scale on acceptance.

>I don't want to waste this queen cell needlessly, but if there is a chance that she could be accepted and accelerate the process of the hive becoming queenright, I might be tempted to give it a try.

Everything is a gamble.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12