Thread: not sure

Question not sure

Greetings fellow bkprs!!! I'm a bit uncertain about these forums, afraid I'm something of a ludite and it seems these things can become addictive, taking up lots of time reading the "opinions" and Not always about beekeeping. Lots of info available though, incredible. I'm on my 3rd attempt keeping bees over the last 25 yrs or so. Hopefully for the bees I'm smarter this time. Aren't we all newbees? I'm very interested in TBH, although I have two langs now and will be going foundationless this year. Both colonies were active as of yesterday. It got above freezing for awhile the other day and we had bees all over in the snow. I should've brought the camera. The undertakers were VERY buzy w/ piles and scartered dead bees numbering a few hundred and lots of little poop stamps. Some had left noticable "death swirls" in the snow, sad but neccessary. They know what to do. I don't want this to get to long BUT I do have question. "one of my hives, the weaker of the two, seems to be giving off an oder. It kinda smells like burnt wood. Any ideas???????? I'm glad to be a part of such a big group of knowledgable folks. I hope I can add some insights as well.

Default Re: not sure

Welcome,
    I can easily spend an hour a day, glancing over the new post on here. I've learned a lot on this forum.
    Dan

Welcome Thomas,
    I like to welcome especially the Wisconsin beeks, but your location wasn't in the title so I missed it.
    Hopefully all your bees will come through the winter well and make you a ton of honey.
    Sheri

Hey thomas894,
    You can spend as much time on the forum(S) as you want. I don't go into tailgater much at all but if you stick to the main beekeeping areas and just pick and choose the threads you can learn a lot, especially if you go back 20 -30 pages of posts. I am not addicted, I can quite any time I want.
    Burnt wood, I am just starting my 4th year so still short on experience, I haven' run into burnt wood smell. Has the wooden ware been scorched on the inside to get rid of any possible pests and now maybe that smell is coming out. just a guess. Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Ski

Thanks for the info, support and heads up. I probably should have watched the site for awhile before signing up, find some bearings, you know(i did admit to being a confirmed ludite/technopeasent somewhere around here). But I've always been one to jump into a project full bore and have the lumps to prove it. I love the site. Thanks again.

thomas

welcome to the forum
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson