Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: can you tell me what they are doing?

Quote Originally Posted by hoodswoods View Post
    Peter,

Your recent posts on the BS forum have been quite informative and scientific, albiet sometimes controversial.
    Funny you should call it the BS forum ; )

I hesitate to talk too much about myself, lest it turn into an interview. I tried to put a bit into the profile page but it limits you to 25 words or less -- I guess.

Started beekeeping in NYS in 1974. Went to Roger Morse at the Dyce Lab for advice. He said "get a job, kid". So I went to work for a beekeeper with over 2000 hives and no permanent help -- greenhorns only. 1975-1980 I worked at the Knorr Beeswax Factory near San Diego. I used to crank out 1000 lbs of beeswax foundation a day, plus sell bee supplies to folks from all over the SW. Met all the big shots and hundreds of sideliners, and beginners as well.

1981 joined the Peace Corps and went to Chile to teach beekeeping. Program was cancelled, however, and in 1982 worked in No. California for a very large package bee and queen outfit. Met Mike Johnston there. 1983-1990 had my own bees in So Cal, topped out at nearly 500 colonies. Annually sold about 40000 pounds honey and 4000 pounds bee pollen, plus a few thousand queen cells. Price of honey caved in 1990, I gave it all up and moved to NYS.

1999, back into bees. Worked at the Dyce Lab at Cornell for 7 years, did bee inspection for 3 years, now I am working in a lab that studies reproductive genomics (that's another story). Newly elected president of the Finger Lakes Beekeepers Club, published maybe a dozen articles in the American Bee Journal. I am putting the finishing touches on a series about honey bee communication via pheromones.

To be honest, I have known about Bee Source for a very long time but avoided it because of the shouting, and mind numbingly ignorant comments that sometimes appear. But several friends asked me to stop by and contribute my particular skew.

Very interested in concepts of Hive Mind, networks, and I most definitely agree that a hive does not resemble a digital computer at all. Computers are projections of human ideas about intelligence, but they are by no means accurate reflections of how intelligence really works -- in us, or in bee hives. Especially since nobody has even a remote clue how to quantify emotions and feelings, which not only rule human life but the life of bees as well. But that is a topic for another thread!

Quote Originally Posted by peterloringborst View Post
    And what do you suppose they are practicing?
    synchronized dancing for the Olympics!!

How would I know. I know most animals practice for the skills they need as adults to survive through play or other behavior. Im taking stabs in the dark. Bees are stupid. It may just be a reactionary trait triggered by an unknown factor developed over the eons that was once useful and serves no purpose at all today. Wait, I got it! Its bee yoga!

Quote Originally Posted by WI-beek View Post
    Bees are stupid. It may just be a reactionary trait triggered by an unknown factor developed over the eons that was once useful and serves no purpose at all today.
    Quite true! I think the whole laying workers thing is a hold over from other species of insects (ants, especially) where the workers can lay viable female eggs. Most honey bee workers can't lay anything but drone eggs, because they have never been mated, but a lot of insects can reproduce without mating at all. Males are simply not needed in many cases! Get used to it.

under review
    Last edited by hoodswoods; 02-10-2010 at 09:12 PM. Reason: wrong place, wrong time
    EAS Georgia Certified. "Tradition - Even if you have done it the same way for years doesn't mean that it is not stupid."

Quote Originally Posted by josethayil View Post
    i saw this in front of one of my bee hives and took video. its not very clear but can see it.
    What's the history of the hive and have you done an inspection?
    I've seen this with some of my hives that are superseding a failing queen. Could be a nervous reaction, don't know for sure though.

Quite true! I think the whole laying workers thing is a hold over from other species of insects (ants, especially) where the workers can lay viable female eggs.

Thelytoky.

Most honey bee workers can't lay anything but drone eggs, because they have never been mated,

Normally the brood pheromones prevent the worker ovaries from developing to the point they can lay eggs. When the hive goes broodless and the workers develop the ability to lay unfertilized eggs....would it be possible to artificially inseminate a laying worker? Could it turn into a queen?

The hive has a young carniolan queen. They are very strong with lot of brood,(2 full deep boxes - some frames with lot of pollen) and 2 and half supers full of honey. I checked the hive and there are no signs of swarming or superseding. They are very gentle also. Not much propolis in the hive.

There is a honey flow going on now.

It is the whole mystery behind what goes on in the hive and out, and the urge to understand and master them that I think keeps me interested in honeybees. Most everything in my life that has interested me soon bores me to death after I figure it out or master it. For this reason, hopefully I have something that will keep me occupied for the rest of my life.

Good video and Wash boarding people still try and figur it out.
    99.99% of questions can be answered by Just reading books.

New Video ofWash Boarding.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDUXAksDk1w

Wow, josethayil!

That was unbelievably beautiful to watch. I would go watch my hive right now, but it's covered with snow...

Those are beautiful bees. Coloring and stripes are really distinct. If they are cleaning, wonder what i could do to convince them to clean my house?
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

Quote Originally Posted by devdog108 View Post
    Those are beautiful bees. Coloring and stripes are really distinct. If they are cleaning, wonder what i could do to convince them to clean my house?
    If they are cleaning, then where is the 'dirt' going? Into the air?

I think they are applying some sort of varnish or scent thing, or else polishing, but not 'cleaning' as in removing dirt.
    The little bee returns with evening's gloom,
    To join her comrades in the braided hive... -Tennyson

Their eating it of course..LOL....it was a joke...
    "You laugh at me because I am different, but I laugh at you because you are all the same."

Quote Originally Posted by devdog108 View Post
    Their eating it of course..LOL....it was a joke...
    How do you know they aren't eating it? How do you suppose bees clean the inside of the hive? How do you suppose they remove dead bees, diseased larvae, moldy pollen, rotten comb, spoiled honey, etc.?

Surprise! They eat it!

Well, see.......LOLOL. I am not as think as i dumb i am......
    Last edited by devdog108; 02-14-2010 at 07:37 AM.