Default back in beesness

hello everyone.

my name is calvin, people call me "warbuk", located out in hodges SC.

i hang out on a few forums, so i searched for a bee forum and this one popped up and looked pretty active. read the rules and the site is just like others i frequent. hope yall don't mind me hanging around.

my dad and I had 5 large hives when i was a kid, moving forced the forfeit of them. i have been thinking quietly about starting up again over the past few years, then other day my oldest boy (13) mentioned it.

so, i called my dad up, he located and gave me his books (from late 70's early 80's) the prices on hives back in the day is a shocker compared to now lol.

my son, dad and I are going to get started this spring. i ordered one hive this morning (1 brood, 1 super) to get started. i was going to put in an order for bees but after calling around some yesterday, i ran across a lady with a swarm in her lake house. i plan to take them around the 1st of april. my dad and I did this a few times when i was young and we had great success with it, so we are going to try that again. just got to hope they are clean. time will tell.

it's been 27 years since i fooled with honey bees. i have no fear of bees and welcome the challenge of doing it again. i've been looking thru here and reading dads old books the past few days. i'm sure i still have some catching up to do on bee life.

i will try not to ask stupid questions and i know how to search haha.

i will have to be careful with my pic sizes tho

Default Re: back in beesness

Welcome back to beekeeping. I think it's great that you have 3 generations interested. It will be a great family experience.

thanks man. we're going to start small, but hope to expand as time goes. wouldn't mind having about 10-20 hives to play with.

we are going to build our own hives, but i went ahead and bought my first one.

does the pic size matter if i use photobucket to host from?

question.

i have a rather large border of shrub beds around my home. would it be wise to put my first hive (which will be kept small) inside the shrub bed at the end of my house? it would get morning sun, be amongst several rose bushes and face a pond about 60 yards off. plus i wouldn't have to worry about cutting/trimming grass around it. almost like a decorative hive. heck, i like bees, i let hornets have a nest under the eave a couple years ago and took it down that winter lol.

or is it best to keep them at yards edge? didn't see anything on search about it.
    i basically want whats best for them, not necessarily what "i" want.

I dont see anything wrong with it. In nature bees are usually in a shaded location. I have read you should not put a fresh caught swarm in a sunny location until they have brood or they may abscond the hive you put them in. The sun in the morning should get them warm and foraging. If you are not going to mow you will want a top entrance or put the hive on a stand so they can fly out and land easily.

Enjoy.

thanks for the info. i'll put them out under the pecan trees in the back yard to start out. and i will be using stands to put hives on.

I should mention that you want to be in good light when you are inspecting your hive though. You need to be able to turn so the sun is at your back and shining down into the cell so you can see the eggs and such. You really want to good light for inspections. This may affect you choice of location.

Good luck with your bees.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-beek View Post
    I should mention that you want to be in good light when you are inspecting your hive though. You need to be able to turn so the sun is at your back and shining down into the cell so you can see the eggs and such. You really want to good light for inspections. This may affect you choice of location.

Good luck with your bees.
    thanks for the tip. if that is the case, then i should be good with the way my setup will be.

hey guy's. got a question and figured i'd post it here instead of starting a new thread.

i got my hive set up, bought a 3# package of bee's and will pick them up next weekend. i know to put the queen in the bottom but what is the best way to dump the bee's into the hive?

thanks, Calvin

Welcome, we don't mind any beekeeper joining the forum. There as many correct ways to install package bees as there are truck models. Is any better? OK the Dodge Cummins is best, but you can place the package in place of some frames and they will build burr comb inside in a few days. You can pull the queen cage out and just shake the bees in and put the queen cage between a couple frames. Someone might even recommend shaking the bees in front of the hive so they walk in on their own. At the class, we shake the bees into the hive.

sounds good. i'll just shake them in then. thanks for the response.
    i'll post up some pics and video of the transfer next weekend.

and yes, the cummins is king lol