Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Value of used extractor?

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  dixiebooks 
#1 ·
I have the possibility to upgrade my extractor. I currently use a 9-frame radial hand crank and its become a real chore to process all my supers. I know of a 18 frame motorized Brushy Mtn available with 3 years of service and in good condition. What's a reasonable price for this extractor? The list price from Brushy is $895.
Thanks.

#5 ·
A guy was trying to sell me a filthy, Dadant 20-frame that had honey left in it for almost 20 years. Couldn't run it or anything - possibly has pin-holes from the honey's acidic nature and the bearings were probably shot. He only wanted 95% of brand new 2009 price yet it was around 30 years old! I paid $600 for a 32-frame Hubbard two years back that had been overhauled and ran like a top and gave him what I thought was a 'reasonable' offer. He's going to be stuck with it for a long time. I agree that 50% is a decent place to start and maybe end, unless it's virtually same as new.

#8 ·
I purchased a uesd 20 frame dadant power for 500.but it came with two supers with frames and foundation a smoker two suites with gloves hive tool feeder frame grips uncaping knife and tank. I hope that I have a good honey flow this year to help pay for it

#9 ·
There you have it! Used equipment is worth whatever it's worth... to the buyer or the seller. Sorry, no hard, fast rules; no Kelley Blue Book to help set a base. Buying: start low and you can always increase with your offer. Selling: start high and negotiate down if necessary. On the Dadant extractor I mentioned earlier, my sight unseen telephone offer was a whole lot more than my offer after I saw it's condition. The seller inherited the equipment and got on Dadant's website. He decided since they want about $1,500 for theirs, that's what he wanted for his.

#11 ·
Have you thought of converting to electric? The extractor I use is a 4-frame maxant reversible extractor (originally a hand-crank), with Maxant parts used to convert to an electric.

Mine looked like the one shown here (http://www.countryfields.ca/secondhand-extractors.html) at the top... except the previous owner acquired the components to convert to an electric motor with adjustable clutch (bearings + spring). Not sure if it came direct from Maxant, or if he scrounged from another extractor.

So now I have the motor + clutch that shown here (http://greenroadfarm.com/beekeeping/?page_id=205. AND... it's still reversable. A switch was wired in to the motor to allow it to spin either direction. So you spin at slow speeds in first direction, then stop, pivot the baskets around, run the motor the other direction at a higher speed, then reverse again and finish off the first side.

Works really well, and results in some very dry comb.

#12 ·
Yes, I initially considered converting my manual to an electric. However, just buying the parts from brushy is pretty expensive ($430). I'd like to try to put something together myself, but I've just got too many things on my plate and I really need something reliable and low maintenance. If I can buy this 18 frame for about $500 and sell my nice 9-frame radial for around $250, then for about $250 I get more capacity and motorized.

#16 · (Edited)
WE make our extractors in our factory in Ayer, Massachusetts.
Without getting into detail as to who has what made where, I can only tell you that "others" are made in Italy, and China.
I dont think it would be fair for me to tell you where everyone makes their extractor. I would call the company direct and ask them.

#18 ·
Kelley's are made in Kentucky, America. They may offer some other brands of equipment, but they have their own metal working shop on premises. Most of our equipment is from them due to quality & price. Their new management seems to be really out to make their service and products better. I see they also offer items from other manufacturers now to be a one-stop shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.