Thread: Hi from SWFL

Default Hi from SWFL

Hey everyone, I have already posted in the newbee thread, but I figured I'd post one here too.

About me and bees...I have always wanted to keep bees. Since a kid, I have preferred honey to everything else sweet. I just never had an opportunity. My hubby and I just closed on a house in the historic district of town, and there are bees in a wall of a room that will be undergoing some light demo. We are planning on keeping the colony, and moving them to a hive in the yard. I am joining the Beekeepers Association of SWFL this week. So this is how I am getting into beekeeping... Hubby's aunt is a beekeeper, so I have a great resource to call any time I need some advice. Her bees are in Wisconsin, but she visits us for a few months in the winter every year. She is very excited about all this.

Other than that, I am a graphic and web designer, we have quite a few pets and a love of historic homes.

Default Re: Hi from SWFL

Hi, & Welcome,
    You're in a great area weather wise for bees.
    Do a search on cutout. That is what you'll be doing when removing the comb from the walls of the house, & tying them in frames.
    Dan

Best wishes with your historic hive. Are there restrictions to cutting the wall? You probably know to cut or tear the comb out of the wall and tie it in frames with string, rubber bands or wire. If I wasn't traveling I would help or just take pictures. I have saved a few hives over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by AmericasBeekeeper View Post
    Best wishes with your historic hive. Are there restrictions to cutting the wall? You probably know to cut or tear the comb out of the wall and tie it in frames with string, rubber bands or wire. If I wasn't traveling I would help or just take pictures. I have saved a few hives over the years.
    The only thing we have to do is keep it historically accurate on the outside of the house, it's a pretty progressive neighborhood. I'm sorry you're traveling, I would be appreciative for help, either doing the cutout or working the camera!

welcome to the world of beekeeping
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by peacekeeperapiaries View Post
    welcome to the world of beekeeping
    Thank you! I have a question for the South FL beeks: do we worry about seasons as much here?

You worry about every season
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Seasons: not as much as up north seasons but yes we have seasons and blooms and we worry about them. Its great you are getting wtih a local club they can provide you local info and help with local information. Also get with your local bee inspector, he will be a wealth of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by peacekeeperapiaries View Post
    You worry about every season
    LOL! Seasons? We have those here? I thought it there was tourist season and off-season, and that was it... Just kidding, it is only 47 here right now, unseasonably cold. But I guess this is the best time of year I could be doing this.

It turns out that the guy from BASF that I called to help me is the president, so I know I am in good hands. I will be meeting him tomorrow or Tuesday, and I am very looking forward to it!
    Last edited by Monkadelic; 02-07-2010 at 10:38 PM. Reason: peacekeeper responded the same time I did...