Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bee Suits

Default Re: Bee Suits

http://www.beemandirect.com/ProtectiveWear.html

Economy Hooded Suit
    This suit looks similar to the Apollo but is priced for backyard beekeepers on a
    budget. This is a light
    Weight fabric to keep you cool, with a double layer
    self supporting hood. S, M, L, XL, 2X, 3X
    MEHS140473.95

Economy Hooded Jacket
    This is similar to the above suit in a waist to head protection jacket. S, M, L, XL,
    2X, 3X
    MEHJ140653.95

Economy Hooded Suits
    S, M, L, XL, 2X, 3X add 2 dollars for 3X
    EHS1300.83.95

Economy Hooded Jacket
    S, M, L, XL, 2X, 3X add 2 dollars for 3X
    EHJ1305..63.95
    "Where wisdom is called for, force is of little use."
    Herodotus (circa 485-425 BC), Greek Historian

I started with a Dadant bee jacket I think was about $45 around 2005, and I taped my pants with duct tape at the bottoms gloves and all. I still remember installing that first package they said turn em upside down and shake them in. Well I was shaking so much all I had to do is hold the package upside down and the shaking was taken care of by my nerves.

I would tell a newbie to get what ever they think it will take to make them feel comfortable, you don't have to be a tuff guy to be a beekeeper. You can wear the full protection for 30 years and keep bees just as well as the guy who wears nothing and gets his butt stung off. Sometimes I wear just a veil others I dawn the gloves and all.

Last year I bought the Dadent jacket with veil and use it every time I visit the hives. I only got stung once last year and I am sure i did the squashing. My hubby got stung about a gazillion times because he would not leave his make shift suit and veil alone. He only helps when I have heavy lifting, but has run the 200 yard dash in record time. Seems they can tell a true scardy cat when they smell one. This year Santa got him his own jacket with veil, so we will see if it helps. We also use playtex kitchen gloves, but I might try the thinner ones this year. The yellow ones are perfect because they fit well and you can really feel everything, but they are very hot. They do clean up really good under the faucet though.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzyBee View Post
    I like nitrile gloves ... They will find the gap between the gloves and the sleeve of the suit if the sleeve rides up your wrist though.
    BB
    I got around that detail by poking a thumb hole in the knit cuff of my jacket (teenage goth-style). That keeps the sleeves from riding up. My gloves go on over that.

The jacket itself is lightweight cotton with snap front. Nothing special and not designed for bees. It's been adequate for me for two years. But I don't do cutouts.

My husband wears Magnet-man's Ultrabreeze and really likes it.

Wow, I must have very non aggressive girls. I do most checking of my 2 hives with what I have on, be it dark jacket, unzipped, ball cap,shorts and t shirt, what ever the weather dictates. When I started keeping I bought the beginners helmet w/veil, leather gloves wore blue jeans, taped at the bottom, blue jean shirt taped on the sleeves and buttons. Too hot!!! Then I bought the white coveralls from Kelleys, with a zipped veil. Good but still too hot!!! Now I own and use the cotton pullover w/zip on full face veil, from Kelleys, elastic @ the waist and waistband, you don't have to have a hat of any kind, which holds in heat. Much cooler!!! This is used when I am pulling frames' or actually getting in the hives. I haven't taped my pants legs for 2 years. As long as they come down over your shoe they won't crawl up them. No highwaters. The pullover has a loop on the top back that all you have to do is hook a finger in it and pull to get it off. I love it!!! I will wear my vented goat skin gloves this spring when I requeen and do splits. Any major intervention into the hive. I may tape my pants just in case.

Also maybe I should rethink my plans to go pure Russian and stay with my sweet girls who seem to trust me. What do you'll think?

"... I must have very non aggressive girls. I do most checking of my 2 hives with what I have on, be it dark jacket, unzipped, ball cap,shorts and t shirt...What do you'll think? i think sooner or later you will inevitable meet the girls on a bad day-robbers,yellowjackets,skunks,mice-something will have them aggressive BEFORE you get there. good luck,mike
    "Wine is a constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy" Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by pgayle View Post
    I got around that detail by poking a thumb hole in the knit cuff of my jacket (teenage goth-style). That keeps the sleeves from riding up. My gloves go on over that.
    Thanks for the tip! I was thinking about trying to sew a thumb loop on the sleeves, but this may be easier.

BB

Mr. Haney ; Yes they told me a few times to go to the house last year, to which I complied and got my slip on jacket. I only got stung once last year, and that was by a yellow jacket. I won't be feeding with the board man feeder this year which will help with that. I'm slow, gentle, and methodical with them.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzyBee View Post
    Going into my third season. Started out with a full suit and zip on veil and was very glad I did. It gave me the confidence to work my bees. It is incredibly hot in the summer though and late last season I bought a veil I can wear without a suit. In the past two seasons, I've been stung a few times and each time it hurt less, itched less and swelled up less. Now I'm not afraid to get stung any more and I plan on wearing a white shirt and blue jeans this year and a string veil for all but very intrusive exams of the hive. I also think I'll get an ultra-breeze jacket for when I get deep into the hives.

I like nitrile gloves because they allow me to feel better, but I have gotten a couple of stings through them. They do make my hands sweat a lot, but unless you pinch a bee, they don't seem to want to sting the gloves. They will find the gap between the gloves and the sleeve of the suit if the sleeve rides up your wrist though. Ouch! Mostly they just crawl around on them and suck up the honey that gets on them.

Hope that helps.

BB
    New Beek here - I think this posts summarizes some things very well. Being brand new I want to have confidence and be focused on the task at hand, I don't want to worry or be distracted so I chose to purchase a Hat/Veil and a long sleeve bee jacket.

I have some White Tyvek zip up suits that I got for free (never used) so these are what I will wear for a while, they won't last too long as they are easy to rip but I think it will be a good start.

No gloves yet but I think the Nitrile ones might be worth a try.

Thanks for this thread.

I wear this suit
    https://www.dadant.com/catalog/produ...roducts_id=767

with these boots.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/1390...s-16-Steel-Toe

The boots have a steel toe and since they flare out in the ankle area and the suit is elasticized, on the leg cuff, the fit is tight. I have never needed to tape them to keep bees from getting into my legs. The boots are also very easy to slip on and off. But, their dark color does attract angry bees. So, I plan to purchase a pair of these white PVC boots.

http://www.gemplers.com/product/G810...teel-Toe-Boots
    From each according to his ability, to each according to his contribution. Charles Koch

I wear a long sleeved button down shirt with a t-shirt underneath. Goat skin gloves & A "booney" hat and a mosquito net style head cover I bought from Wal-mart($3) . Just make sure you tuck the netting underneath your collar. This worked perfect for me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12