Default Queen cells for sale?

I noticed on the February ABJ that vendors are selling queen cells. I'm new at beekeeping so I don't know if this is something new or not. I've bought mated queens in cages but queen cells? Is this something new? What are the advantages of buying queen cells?

Default Re: Queen cells for sale?

Selling queen cells has been around for a long time.
    I sell queen cells to local people or those who want to drive in and pick them up.
    You have to know how to use them and be highly organized for their use.
    Sending them out by mail is newer approach.
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I had read that there are several advantages: They are cheaper; If you like your own bees and the bees in your area, the virgin mates with local drones and you can tailor your own strain. However, I also read that mailing them was hit and miss, that queen cells don't like to be shaken, or chilled.
    So I too would like to know how reliable it is to mail them because if you make your splits and then depend upon mailed queen cells for your increase and none hatch your season is ruined. Adrian.

You can also install a queen cell late in the honey season, say late Aug. in NY, and that new queen will be of help to the lessening of varroa.
    Mark Berninghausen To combat Ebola, please consider supporting http://www.doctorswithoutborders.org

I also sell queen cells to people that come to my place and pick them up. I worked for two bee breeders in California. Queen cells were always treated like we were handling chicken eggs. At the second operation, if a box of cells was dropped, all of the cells were discarded. Our postal workers routinely toss packages. I would never send queen cells in the mail. Maybe it works for some people.

Queen cells usually are not shipped until they reach the hardened stage. The cell provider tries to have it so the cells are at the point of hatching the morning you recieve them from overnight air shipping. I'm happy with the cells I have shipped from FL to WI.

If you search the archives we have had a discussion about this before.

I use cells in all my splits, make splits on Monday, pick up cells Tuesday morning and return home to place cells in splits ASAP, they hatch Wednesday morning. It is a lot cheaper than mated queens and we typically have 90-95% success rate. I purchase from Miksa Honey Farms. In regards to shipping cells Miksa ships LOTS and LOTS of them all over the country.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Has anyone else had experience with buying queen cells in the mail? Shamrock in California is advertising them in ABJ. If it works it appears to be a less expensive way to go.

Shamrock does not guarantee them... you're on your own when you order them.