Default Building equip, part 2

So I'm definitely going to build a top bar hive, and one or two langstroth hives. I was thinking of staining the hives with something like Thompson's Water Seal (though it hardly rains here)- is this a good idea, or is latex paint the way to go. I really love seeing natural wood grain, but if the bees would do better in a painted hive, then I'd definitely go latex.

Also, I'm going to make the hive stands out of that synthetic wood decking material- it's either made out of recycled bottles or chemically modified wheat gluten protein polymer chains (either way, never rots)

Anyway, are stains like Thompson's safe to use on a hive?

Default Re: Buliding equip, part 2

im not a fan of thompsons because you have to re-apply it every year and it has to be dry to do it - which means you would have to remove it from service and take it to the shop to re-seal it --

i tried poly but the moisture from inside came throuh and turned it black

i just prime and paint with 25 year warr. paint!!!!!

or as M Bush would tell ya ...... skip the paint -- that tends to show the nature wood grain quite well !!!!

I wouldn't build any hive stands from that plastic stuff.

I built some bottom boards out of Trex and they slide all over the place when ever i work the hive. Too slippery

And they'll probably last 'til I throw them away.

I avoid painting if at all possible, 1. to save time and 2. because I worry about the effects of chemicals on the colony. I do not paint any of my top bar hives.

Regarding the legs, as long as they are sturdy enough to support the colony I bet they'd work fine. I generally use 2x4s for legs but they eventually rot.

Cheers,
    Matt

over the last 3 days i have been applying boiled linseed oil to my new hive. should look good out side this summer. what ever you do dont put anything on the inside. if you do put something on the outside let it set outside and off gass (air out) as long as possiable before you put bees in it

Paint inside the hive doesn't seem to bother my bees. I'm building equipment from scrap Windsor One wood trim which comes primed with three coats of acrylic paint on both sides.

I haven't found painting the inside to be necessary, but I don't heed the warning that what ever you do don't put anything on the inside.

Wayne

I paint inside all my hives. Use paint which is low in irritants ( and they are now widely available) and I never had a problem. Always good to air newly painted boxes.

For wood grain lovers, use a translucent stain, or an old school method. Thin the paint, let it bleed into the wood and then wipe with an old rag

Some folks have found that painting the inside of the hive does not allow the hive to "breathe." In wetter climes that could be a problem with moisture retention. However, I've always wondered about that, because after a few years the bees seem to coat the inside of my hives with propolis anyway. And I wonder how that works with "breathing?"

However, to me, painting the inside of something the bees are going to seal anyway is a waste of time and money.... fwiw.
    Regards,
    Steven