Thread: Air Staplers

Default Air Staplers

I'm convinced. I used my new to me narrow crown stapler while assembling frames this weekend and I was able to assemble frames in about 25% of the time it took me to nail the frames by hand. I've also started using Brushy Mountain's frame jib and that works well too.

Default Re: Air Staplers

My only suggestion with narrow crown staplers is to remember that Bostitch uses a 7/32in crown. Everyone else 1/4in. If you buy a Bostitch narrow crown stapler, you'll have to use their staples. Last packs I bought at Home Depot, the Bostitch 7/32in cost 25% more than the Porter Cable 1/4in.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

That's news; I use staples from several different manufacturers in my Bostitch gun. Right now I have it loaded with Senco staples but I also use Fasteners Unlimited brand, Porter Cable and Bostitch. Take your gun to HD or Lowe's and try some different brands in the magazine. I also have a Hitachi 1/4" stapler which uses any brand of staples; we use them interchangably in both guns. My Bostitch gun will only take lengths up to 1 3/8" but the Hitachi uses 1 1/2" staples which I prefer for frames.

Hey fish...what model Bostitch are you using? I know it's only 1/32in difference but my gun is quite specific as to what size works.
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Quote Originally Posted by fish_stix View Post
    "That's news; I use staples from several different manufacturers in my Bostitch gun. Right now I have it loaded with Senco staples..."
    I have senco staples in my bostitch right now also. I have difficulty finding certain sizes of Bostitch staples, but no worries for me.

Beemandan; my gun is model #S32SX. The specs in the owners manual call for 7/32" crown width, which is the width on the Bostitch staple carton. This is the 2nd Bostitch I've owned, someone walked off with the first one. The other gun was a model S32SL. Both of them have digested 1/4" staples, no problem. I've never even seen smaller staples; if there is such a thing, my suppliers don't have them. I buy from HD, Lowe's, and a couple of air tool/fastener shops locally.

Beemandan; I just measured, with a dial caliper, the crown on several different brands of staples. Bostitch .231; Senco .226; Fasteners Unlimited .223; Generic .236. Not enough diff to worry about! BTW, all the manufacturers, including Bostitch, list crown width as 6mm in metric dimensions. As I said before, just take your gun to HD and try the 1/4" staples; I bet they'll work. Porter Cable seems to have the best prices but I just buy what's available when I get there.

Measure the rail that fits inside the staples usually they will fit in the gun but the rail will not slide inside the staples or is tight and cause too much drag for the staples to feed.
    Dan

fish, I lent my Bostitch to a friend who's making frames for me. As soon as I get it back I'll try the 1/4in staples. I have both. I also have a 'standard' narrow crown stapler, so I've been buying both sized staples. In fact when I bought my most recent stapler, I refused to consider Bostitch because I didn't want to have to keep buying their staples. I never thought to try 1/4in in it. I guess they are banking on folks like me. On the other hand they shot themselves in the foot. Because of the imagined issue I paid an extra twenty bucks to buy a competitor's gun.

beemandan; so did I!! My Bostitch has lasted a long time with only minor problems but I tried a Hitachi and found it's a better product. I have other type guns for my construction business, including a couple Bostitch guns (T-nailers) and always seem to end up with Senco or Hitachi. They get dropped off roofs, on concrete slabs, don't get oiled as required, and left out in the rain, and those two brands just keep on ticking. Plus, they can be repaired locally, whereas I've never been able to get Bostitch guns repaired without sending them away.