Default De-lurking from Ithaca (NY)

I've used the forums extensively over the past year as I learn the art and science of beekeeping. It turned out that any question I had, someone already asked and a dozen people answered. Our bee club president claims that if you ask 5 beekeepers you'll get 6 solutions for any problem - how true that is!

I started three 8-frame hives from nucs last summer, one of which I know has survived so far. I took advantage of my rural location and placed my hives well apart on the edges of an old field that's bursting with wildflowers and goldenrod. I love the bees, I love honey, and I love mead so beekeeping is essentially fueling my alcohol habit. I have four gallons of fall flower mead and one of saffron mead fermenting in the back room from this year's harvest.

I'm also a freelance science writer, come late to the profession. I'm focusing right now on bee articles for the general, I-don't-want-a-beehive, public for Examiner.com. So if there's a misconception about bees that you wish the non-bee type understood, I'm happy to consider it for an article!

Default Re: De-lurking from Ithaca (NY)

Hi Shelly,
    Welcome to the un-lurked version of Beesource. If you're coming to the Finger Lakes mtg. Sat. I'll be the quest speaker and perhaps I'll get a chance to meet you.

I've met a few beesourcerers over the years in all parts of the Country. You'd be the closest to home. Don't we live in a breathtaking area!

I will be there on Sunday. I look forward to meeting you!

It is a breathtaking area (sometimes literally!).

You should hook up with Waid in Interlaken....took over Richard Taylors hives...

Welcome to the forum...

Thanks for the tip and the welcome!

Do you know Peter Borst? He inspected colonies for a couple of years and worked at Cornell managing their hives. Look him up. He is a good guy to get to know.

Joel aught to have him speak at that club if he hasn't already.

Welcome Shelly. I hope you feel free to ask questions and to contribute too.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I do - he's a wonderful guy and now our club president. That's what happens when you miss a meeting.

(In all seriousness, he did say yes to it.)

Quote Originally Posted by ShelleyStuart View Post
    I do - he's a wonderful guy and now our club president. That's what happens when you miss a meeting.

(In all seriousness, he did say yes to it.)
    Well, I guess you'd better not miss a mtng either. I hope he tells everyone about Orlando. I'm sure he got more out of it than I did.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."