Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Hive found in abandoned house

9K views 30 replies 22 participants last post by  bluegrass 
#1 ·
We have found a huge hive of bees in a wall of an abandoned house. This house is going to be tore down in a couple of days.
We live in South Central Kansas.

1. Can we successfully capture these bees this time of year?
2. If so, what would be the best way to capture them?

We are newbies. We just acquired our first hive last summer by capturing a swarm. So any help would be appreciated.

Thank you so very much!

#29 ·
Thank you Alex.

It is nice to see that there are others about, to whom matters around us take precedence to personal gain and self importance.
To tell you the truth Alex, I most of the time refrain from making contributing comments to this list, cause I am not much of a politician and have never learned to "beat around the bushes" as it were. I am from the old school, where horses were bought or sold and colossal deals were made with a mare shake of a hand and a man's word was a man's word.
So, I usualy tell it as I see it, or as the situation sits.
(But Mediators, in their unique wisdom and sometimes with a bit of twisted humor - do some badgering of their own?!)

Anyway, I see that there seams to be some concern about safety with this job?
As a man, who build a few houses in my time, I can safely say that the house which is slatted for demolition should by now have all the hydro, watter, gas and what have you, long disconnected?! For only a fool would be paying monthly bills for utilities that are not needed for maintenance of such a derelict piece of property.

About safety, while cutting out the wall?
One is not going to cut the whole side of the house? At least I hope not?
In my experience, bees will usualy occupy only one section, thus: Empty space between two studs.? Which is 16 inches.
(Could be even more, but that will most likely be abandoned comb, perhaps full of honey)
With a stud finder, or measuring tape, even by checking for nails on interior wall, one can figure out where they are and with reciprocating saw and a blade that will cut wood as well as nails - this interior cut can be made in few minutes.
If afraid about the roof?
Nail (screw is better) on the ceiling a pice of two by and post it to the floor. When for cuts are made on the inside. Screw a piece, up and down on the inside wall, both sides of the cut! (Nailing will upset the bees this time of the year) Is best to disturb the as little as possible!
Across this, screw a piece of two by to hold the wall and also keep your piece that you are cutting away, from falling in!
With this done, go to the outside and cut the sheeting from the outside. To know where to make a cut on all four corners drill a hole through the wall (from the inside) and this will also give you a chance to insert the saw-blade and begin the cutting.

This should not take more than half - or one hour? Depends on how handy one is and if there is some help to be had. . .
When bringing this home, I would lean this section somewhere against the wall of a barn, or a shed and make sure that is protected from the weather and kept quiet till spring when bees can be moved to a proper home. (Tack some ruffing paper on and around it, to keep out wind)

Now, thank you all for caring for little creatures and good luck all. . .

regards,
France

#31 · (Edited)
France:

Knowing myself and being in the same situation I would cut the wall out, but I have the experience to survey the situation and determine what will need to be supported prior to doing so. I also have a do it and learn the lessons afterward mentality which has proven to be a blessing and a curse.

From here at my computer I can not survey the situation and therefor I try and avoid giving advice like "cut the wall out" to somebody who may not have the knowledge and skills that I have.

I also don't live in Canada and don't have a knowledge of your building code up there. I do know that here in the States building codes tend to be a newer development in most areas. Old houses in my experience will not have 16 on center studs.... I have seen 2 ft, 3 ft, 4 ft between studs and also post and beam construction in houses that I have removed bees from. If a person does not know how to tell stick built from post and beam and decides to cut a small section of a wall out that may very well be the last thing they ever do. What is being advocated here is basically cutting a section out completely blind in order to maintain the integrity of the colony.

I am not saying that is not the way it should be done. It is probably the way I would do it. But I think we should present advice like this from a safety standpoint..... and lean on the side of caution.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.