Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Trees to plant for bees

Black locust trees supply abundant nectar and pollen, honey will be very light in color. And for the first five or six years the trees grow very fast.
    The Busy Bee teaches two lessons: One is not to be idle and the other is not to get stung.

There are new varieties of Crape Myrtle that are more cold tolerant, some bred especially for the north. That being said we have lots of Crape Myrtles here in Virginia and I can't say as I have ever seen my bees work them, might be a case of something else blooming at the same time that they like better, don't know.

Someone mentioned hazelnut. I read somewhere that hazelnut is no more nutritious for bees then corn/corn pollen, which is not very. They work it and work it but it would be like us eating nothing but cotton candy.

You said no thorns, but if they will be behind a fence, well holly makes a very lovely light spring honey.

You may look into Button Bush obviously not a tree but bees love it and it bllooms thru out the summer after the clover and others. Button Bush also likes wet area. I have a lot of sumac and the bees love it howevere it is quite invasive.

James R

I looked up Buttonbush and it looked good until I found this-
    "Southern Native Americans and French Settlers made a tonic from the bark of the Buttonbush to treat fevers. It is related to the coffee tree and the tree which provides quinine. The leaves do contain glucoside, a known poison which can affect grazing animals."
    So it can't go in the pasture.

I think I've decided to get some trees from Arbor Day again, and someone is supposed to be sending me some Golden Rain Tree seeds.

I didn't see anyone comment about the Rose of Sharon trees and whether or not they are attractive to bees for polen and/or nectar. The Rose of Sharon tree is very hardy and has a tremendously long blooming period from all summer long to fall.

It grows well here in Texas. I just don't know how attractive it is for producing honey.

the rose of sharon here the bees work very well

I had 10 - 16 beehives in my back yard at any given time during the summer lasat year. I have a lot of Althea (Rose of Sharon) in my yard. In fact most of it is by the hives.

Have never seen a bee on the flowers. Flowers are well pollinated as I have tons of new trees come up every year. The only thing I see pollinate them is bumble bees. I look at these blooms a lot during the summer because of Jap. beetles. I go around my yard up to 6-8 times a day looking for and killing these beetles with gallon pesticide spray bottle.

Guess they have things here they prefer over the Althea.
    De Colores,
    Ken

Have you considered Basswood.
    Home is where the Air Force sends me.
    Alex

Reading several posts about the Arbor Day folks and their offerings -- have you looked into your local soil & water conservation group? Most states have them as a part of the Ag Department and many - ours included - have regular tree and shrub sales. Our county extension agent is a beek himself and always makes certain that there are appropriate selections for plants producing good pollen and nectar.
    Last edited by markmaster; 04-09-2010 at 06:59 AM. Reason: capitalization

Crape Myrtles are almost too easy to root. All you have to do is put them in a pot and keep them moist until they start growing. So you can get a lot of trees real cheap.

Just to update- I did get the ten flowering trees from Arbor Foundation. 2 crabapple, 2 redbud, 2 washington hawthorn, 2 dogwood, 2 goldraintrees. Little bitty, but I potted them up and a couple are starting to put out leaf buds.
    I don't know how many of these will be good nectar or pollen sources, but it's what I could get for what I could afford.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123