Default Shb and the cold

Will this cold weather we are have help kill off some of the shb?It's not been this cold here in 25 years and i do not think shb's was around then.I did see some dead shb in the front of a hive and the bees was carring them out before the cold weather.What do you think? copper287

Default Re: Shb and the cold

Nope, sorry, it will not. Unless your bees die too. The shbs will get into the cluster and survive quite well.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

I seen 5 to 25 shb in the front of each hive dead today from the cold.The bad part was they was 50 to 150 bees dead in each hive dead,but one had about a 1lb of bees dead in it.It may not make it.I have it really high off the ground may have caused that.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Nope, sorry, it will not. Unless your bees die too.
    Cold weather takes a toll on both shb and bees. In my experience, winter is more devastating on the beetles. Going into fall many of my hives have a load of beetles. During my first inspections in the spring, it's rare to find more than a few in any hives. It's not uncommon to find a clump of dead beetles who apparently got separated from the winter bee cluster and perished. For reducing shb, cold weather is your friend.
    Last edited by beemandan; 01-11-2010 at 07:26 AM.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards