Thread: Pariffin wax

Default Pariffin wax

Hi Everyone,
    I've been making a few of the mountain bee feeders (not as nice as from Brushy Moutain) this winter and I'm planning on using pariffin wax (canning wax) to coat the wood where the sugar water will be sitting. I don't have enough bee wax to coat them (and believe this is what Brushy Mountain uses). Does anyone know if there would be any detrimental effects to the bees if I were to use the pariffin wax?
    Thanks,
    Chris

Default Re: Pariffin wax

Canning wax is good enough for contact with human food supplies so I would assume that it would not have any adverse effect on the bees in your application.

Just remember Pariffin wax is natrual Petrolium by product of crude oil production.

I believe you are referring to "paraffin wax". The British use the word paraffin to describe what we, here in the U.S.A., call kerosene.

Paraffin wax is used for many purposes; candles, sealing canned foods, lubricating drawer slides, etc. I've seen paraffin wax used to seal the insides of boardman feeders whose sides were made of pressed board.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni