Default Carved Lawn Jockeyish Style Hives?

I was watching a program on television a while ago and they were showcasing some people rescuing a style of hive in europe that were all carved some were bears, some soldiers some looked like lawn jockeys. These were very intricately carved and looked to be 5-6 feet tall in some cases. They would have an opening in the mouth or something for the entrance and the backs would come off to expose the frames. I think they were popular in the 40-50's in europe or russia. This group would travel the countryside and search them out at old farmhouses and such and attempt to acquire them and restore the hives to their original glory.

I have searched and searched but I can not find anything on the internet. Is anyone familiar with these or happen to see this program? I would like to learn a little more about them and perhaps at some point in the future make one. Any input would be appreciated.

Default Re: Carved Lawn Jockeyish Style Hives?

I am sure this does not help any but I found this.

http://books.google.com/books?id=xtw...ehives&f=false

I will keep looking.

Those are exactly the style I am referring to. I guess I was a little off on the time frame they were popular but those are exactly what I am interested in. Any other info would be great. These are really a cool idea, might not be the most practical thing in the world but very cool.

These hives originate from Poland. At the Apimondia congress in Montpellier France last September, a Polish museum had about two dozen of these statues on display. There is a video which shows these different statues. When one goes south from Poland one encounters rear access bee hives mostly on wagons or trucks with beautiful paintings.
    Janvanhamont

Hives are legal here as long as you use frames inside.
    De Colores,
    Ken

I saw that program it was on the science channel.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.