Default Looking for air compressor and nail gun ideas

Getting tired of nailing frames. What do you guys suggest looking at?
    Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.
    Thomas A. Edison

Default Re: Looking for air compressor and nail gun ideas

1. Purchase one piece plastic frames, like Pierco for instance.
    2. Get the wife or significant half to do the job.
    3. Pay neighbour/ highschool kid to do so for you.
    4. Some outfit that sell bee equipment sell them assembled.

Well now you have choices.

Jean-Marc

Build my little frame jig...
    http://www.myoldtools.com/Bees/framejig/framejig.htm
    And pick up a Porter Cable setup from HD. They have a set with compressor and 18 guage brad nailer.

Crown staplers work good. Narrow crown like what is used for stapling on soffit panels on homes. "Pancake" style compressors will have enough air volume for the job and are not that expensive.

Stapler:http://www.bostitch.com/default.asp?...=left_news.htm

Compressor:http://www.amazon.com/Porter-Cable-C.../dp/B00004WGQM

Some of the bee club members have bought the cheap compressor and nail gun at Harbor Freight, and are happy with them. I've bought two of their nail guns, ($30.00 ea.) the first one didn't last long but this one has lasted over 2 years and still going. I wouldn't recommend them for every day use. (made in China stuff)- Jack

I have a Bostitch narrow crown stapler and really like it. Powered by an ingersol rand 3.3 HP compressor.

We assume when you say "nailing frames" you're doing it with a hammer.
    Air compressor and staple gun works wonders... I use a Porter cable, with 1 1/4 x 1/4" staples, one into the top of the frame, one into the end of the frame. And because I'm lazy, and don't like to change out staples, I have a nail gun, and in the bottom bars drive a 1" nail. Of course that is after glue has been applied both top and bottom.

And while you're at it, get yourself a good nail gun, for assembling hive bodies and supers!

I do a lot of different things in my shop, and years ago sprang for a Sears 30-gallon air compressor... takes care of the tires on my modern and antique vehicles, and I'm never waiting for air when assembling supers, hive bodies, bottoms, frames, whatever. If you're young, buy good quality, it will last, and you won't regret it 2-5 years down the road. Same for the nail guns and staplers.

There is something therapeutic about nailing together 2,000 frames... but I'll be #%$^* if I can say much good about installing all those brass eyelets. Glad it's football season! That I can do in front of the tv!
    Regards,
    Steven

I assemble hives and hive boxes with 18 gauge brads. I find 1 1/4" to 1 11/2" brads. Longer than that and the brads tend to split out of the side at odd directions.

I first put on waterproof carpenters glue and square the box, then run a line of brads about 1 to 1 1/2" apart down the edge.

That box is not falling apart.

Big Bear
    No, I am NOT a bee "Keeper". Anything I post is just my opinion. Take it easy and think for yourself.

Thanks guys, I should have been more specific. I am looking at getting a compressor and nail gun and just wanted opinions what to look for. Yes I'm currently using titebond and hammering nails by hand in top and bottom bars.
    Just because something doesn't do what you planned it to do doesn't mean it's useless.
    Thomas A. Edison

I use a crown stapler. Staples are better than brads because the top of the staple acts like a large nail head, ensuring a secure bond when the glue dries. I use 1.5 inch staples to assemble the frames.

I use a Bostitch SX150K

I use a frame jig also
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/911/

I use shallow supers with plasticell foundation. No one makes shallow plasticell so it is medium, trimmed to fit a shallow frame. This requires a wedge top bar, the trimmed plasticell will not fit in a grooved top bar. I remove the wedge piece, slide the plasticell foundation into the bottom bar and place it in the top bar and then staple it with three inch staples (same staple gun as above) to secure it. The wedge is not needed.

Any air compressor that has enough capacity will work.

Frame assembly goes much quicker.

Smile Re: Looking for air compressor and nail gun ideas

Most major brand tool companies sell used tools on line for a lot less than new ones and give new guarntee. I have a Porter Cable and have good luck but others are problably just as good

If you glue your frames (and you should), brads hold as well as staples. All they do is hold it together while the glue dries.

One of these http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...oductinfo/911/

And one of these:

Makes quick work of it.....Hey StevenG, I'm with you Bro....I hate eyelets!
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

NewbeeNC, if you dont yet have a frame nailing device, get one or make one. That makes the work so much easier.

Regarding compressors, it all depends on what you're going to do with it. Yes, you can get a compressor that will power a nail gun all day long, but if your interests change, or you have other projects in mind, you'll want a bigger compressor. Get good quality, and compare features and capacities.

Regarding nail guns and staplers... some take 7/32" staples, others 1/4" crown staples. There are more sources for 1/4" staples, so you can get them cheaper. Some staplers only go up to 1" in length, others 1 1/2" in length. For frames, you'll want 1 1/4" I should think, for better holding power. For me, I've used both brads/nails and staples. I prefer the staples because that crown acts as additional holding power. And the staple and glue gives a bit of redundancy.

Some nail guns will take both smaller brads and staples. Others may have had different experience, but mine has been they're good at one or the other, but not both in the same gun. And when it breaks, you're outta luck. So after trashing my first, I got a gun dedicated to staples, and one to brads. I've ended up with three guns - stapler up to 1 1/4" length, brad nailer up to 1 1/4 (or is it 1 1/2?), and brad nailer that will take 2 1/2" brads/nails. That way while nailing frames, I only have to change the gun, and not unload/reload brads/staples. That becomes tiresome. But, everyone has an opinion.

The great thing about having several toys is that it opens up other options and possibilities for you!
    Good luck, and happy shopping!
    Steven

Anybody have the Bostitch 3 piece + compressor kit? What do you think of it?
    Thomas A. Edison

I don't have the kit but I have used many of their airtools over the years and have no complaints. Had many of them slide off the roof onto the concrete and they keep working. Keep the tools oiled well and keep dirt out of them and they will last for years. Their gas compressors work well to and take alot of abuse.

I went cheap with Harbor Freight and have not regretted it. I bought a compressor, a brad gun for frames, and a staple gun for boxes a few years ago and all have held up well. I still glue everything too.

My frame nailing jig is similar to Ross's except I used round dowel rods wrapped with that cheap pipe insulation which holds the frames snug when flipping over the jig.

I use 1/4" crown staples and titebond glue. In regards to brass eyelets (I HATE THEM) I have replaced them with T50 staples shot with an electric staple gun (ACE Hardware $30.00). One side of the frame shoot the staples over the wire holes, the other side between the two wire holes and voila the wire tightens against the staples, did I mention I HATE INSTALLING EYELETS. Staples with electric gun SOOOO MUCH FASTER than hand pushing eyelets.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

I did a lot of looking. Finally went to harbor freight company and purchased a small compressor and a cheap stalper/brad gun. I am very happy. Harbor freight has many choices to choose from.