Default feeding question

I live in East Tennessee and a new beekeeper
    i have a problem with one of my hives that i have been feeding or trying to .
    Its a small hive and with the weather cold they wont take the syrup but others that im feeding will.
    Should i wrap the hive in tar paper so it will warm up more on the sunny days so they will take more syrup?
    In mid fall they had very little honey.

Default Re: feeding question

This time of the year I only feed dry sugar on the top bars there are several discussions on feeding dry sugar on the forums.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236444
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 12-29-2009 at 02:40 PM. Reason: add link
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Quote Originally Posted by honeyman46408 View Post
    This time of the year I only feed dry sugar on the top bars there are several discussions on feeding dry sugar on the forums.
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/showthread.php?t=236444
    I agree with honeyman, I only use dry sugar this time of the year. I also am in NY/PA and our weather stinks....so darn cold....

Check out my recipe for "Bee Fudge" in Beekeeping 101

Make a large pancake out of the dough-like sugar mixture and drape it over a frame close to the cluster. I guarantee they will take it faster than dry sugar if the colony is really struggling.

Welcome to the forum, beeginer. You are in a great area for bees. I am about an hour northwest of Nashville, so we have similar weather. The trick with the dry feeding is getting it close enough that the bees can access it in cold weather. I have had some success with just pouring it on the inner cover and the bees access it through the opening, but this won't work when the temp is in the teens (as we are expecting this weekend). The mountaincamp method is preferable (use the search function to locate past threads on the subject) because it puts the sugar closer to the cluster, and you might find a warm day to install it. Hang in there, and keep reading.

Thanks for all the info.

I fed from August until late October here in Central Ohio. I was trying to keep the hive weight up before old man winter came and I know my bees won't take syrup into November. I started feeding candy to my bees and they love it. The recipe is 2 cups sugar, 1.5 cups water, two tbs light (not dark ever) corn syrup, and 1/8 tsp of cream of tarter. I bring to a boil and let it boil for about 10 minutes before taking its temperature. I want it about 238-240 degrees. I was putting the mix right away (while still boiling) into cupcake tins or those paper sleeves. That worked and then I could put these candies near the clusters. Then I started drizzling the entire pan into the bottom side of the inner cover. I tend to put most of it where I know the cluster is. It takes an extra inner cover but works well.
    I have five hives that I moved from my open field up to the east side of the house to protect from wind. I put my nuc in the garage where I can baby it a little more.
    My wife drew the line at the garage and basement is out of the question.

Try my candies, they sure work for me and are very convenient.

Pife

Quote Originally Posted by Pife View Post
    My wife drew the line at the garage and basement is out of the question.
    What about the doghouse when you are not using it.