Default Day Job in relation to Beekeeping

Have you ever been working and find that your job has many relations to bees and bee keeping? Maybe i just day dream about my bees to much . However its quite uncanny . I'm a Correctional Officer (prison guard) at a state penitentiary.
    I once read in a book bees referred as Inmates and that's just what prisoners are called these days. The inmates are housed in Cells. They eat at tables in the shape of hexagons. Instead of a smoker and hive tool I have pepper spray and a baton yet it hardly calms them. Riots resemble a swarming hive in my opinion and are quite chaotic . The inmate cells are housed in large whitish buildings on a big yard.. Each race answers to one shot caller (queen?) and prison shanks are perceived by me as stingers but, maybe i just let my mind wander too much. I even do cell searches and extract contraband in the form of inmate manufactured alcohol. However actual cell extractions are rather violent. Anyway , i can go on and on.

How does your Job relate to your beekeeping?

Default Re: Day Job in relation to Beekeeping

Thats pretty deep Bradley. But I see what ya mean.

I guess the dca is the shower room?
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Mine doesn't resemble beekeeping much except that we're building comb (houses and condos) all day.

Keep those bees from swarming, Bradley_Bee. Don't want to see 'em in my yard.

Wayne

The reason I am a beekeeper is so I can come home and forget what I do for a living so......no, what I do has nothing to do with beekeeping.
    Mike Forbes
    Red Dirt Apiaries

Good story, Thanks for sharing.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by NasalSponge View Post
    The reason I am a beekeeper is so I can come home and forget what I do for a living so......no, what I do has nothing to do with beekeeping.
    I agree. To sort of quote a bumper sticker, the more I'm around people, the more I like my bees.

Quote Originally Posted by NasalSponge View Post
    oh. well to each their own. I like what i do for a living.

Story time with Hambone,

Sorry to get , but do you ever get to taze anyone? I have a buddy that is a Dallas cop and I call him twice a week to see if he has tazed anyone yet. The answer is no. I don't think he is a very good LEO. He called me a few weeks ago all fired up saying he tazed a dude. After I got fired up he told me he was kidding. I would befriend him for that, but he is the one with the tazer.
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

I keep bees for a living. Now that it is winter I just sit around the house shivering to stay warm & eating honey. Actually I don't just sit around the house. I was out with the hounds today(my winter day job that doesn't pay very good but passes time waiting for spring) and had 8 of them swarming after a coyote.

As an energy auditor/consultant, I think of how bees weatherize their homes (caulk and seal with propolis), yet still provide necessary ventilation for Indoor Air Quality. I relate their knowledge of weatherization with how we need to treat our own homes to my customers. A home that is too tight will suffer consequences (such as poor IAQ), one that has too much infiltration will suffer energy waste. If a little bug knows what to do, why do so many educated people not have a clue?

During my public education bee talks, I mention how a bee colony is much like a corporation. The queen is not the CEO of the hive as many would think, but is their Human Resources Director instead. She has to estimate manpower needs 6 weeks ahead of time each day for the tasks at hand. The one main difference is that the bees know their jobs and do it 24/7 without being told what to do. It all just happens because it must happen for survival of the corporation.

I train bird dogs which doesn't have much to do with bees other than I'm outdoors all the time and on the lookout for swarms or checking old buildings for feral colonies.

Beeslave...what kind of hounds do you have? You should bring them to Texas. I have Yodel dogs crapping in my front yard
    "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink"...well that horse ain't got nothing on a bee.

As one hack to another I completely understand where you are coming from Bradley. Except I don't believe the inmates are near as hard working as the Bees. LOL