Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got mites?

Default Got mites?

Had some time to closely inspect the crawlers in front of my hive this morning. Looks like Verroa mites to my untrained eye. Now what to do? I need to treat quickly, as the dead bees are piling up pretty fast. Checkmite?

It's not all bad, here is a returning forager I managed to capture a pic of this morning as well.

Last edited by honeyman46408; 12-26-2009 at 05:54 PM. Reason: see image posting guide lines

Default Re: Got mites?

You might consider an OA dribble.
    Link to a post of mine

I used a "Windex" type sprayer that consistently gave me 5 ML per 10 full "pumps" of the 3.5% solution. I will have to wait until spring to see how it did as this is my first year. It will knock the ever-loving snot out of the mites(See the pic of the sticky board in my post); with about 100-200 dead bees over two days in front of the hive.

RKR
    4 seasons 19 Hives-Camp Branch Bee Ranch. Est 2009
    "I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect."

Too late... Save the money that you would spend to treat and put it towards next springs package. Treating now is like looking for ticks after you've been diagnosed with lyme disease... the damage is already done.

Quote Originally Posted by cow pollinater View Post
    Too late... Save the money that you would spend to treat and put it towards next springs package. Treating now is like looking for ticks after you've been diagnosed with lyme disease... the damage is already done.
    No I'm not giving up on them.

Try a FGMO Fog. It will give a quick drop and you can use it anytime you can open the top of the hive. Three or four treatments and you'll be surprised at how many fewer mites you have.

And FGMO Fog is non toxic to you or your Bees.

Just Google FGMO Fog for more info.

Your climate may not be too late to do anything. Most mites are resistant to common pesticides like Apistan. Try something newer on the market.

Next question is: Where do you buy the FGMO fog product ?
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! www.greenanything.net/honey-bees.php

How do you do the FGMO tratment? What is FGMO?

Follow the "FGMO fog" search.

Food Grade Mineral Oil in a fog application. Their link back to this forum does not work.
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! www.greenanything.net/honey-bees.php

Quote Originally Posted by SwedeBee1970 View Post
    Your climate may not be too late to do anything. Most mites are resistant to common pesticides like Apistan. Try something newer on the market.

Next question is: Where do you buy the FGMO fog product ?
    FGMO is available in every grocery. Its the mineral oil your mother used to give you as a child as a laxative.

The PROPANE FOGGER is available at any large hardware store. Its an Insect Fogger. Be sure NEVER USE ONE THAT HAS EVER HAD INSECTICIDE IN IT.

PM me if you need more info.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    FGMO is available in every grocery. Its the mineral oil your mother used to give you as a child as a laxative.

The PROPANE FOGGER is available at any large hardware store. Its an Insect Fogger. Be sure NEVER USE ONE THAT HAS EVER HAD INSECTICIDE IN IT.

PM me if you need more info.
    Thanks for the info! Will check in to this.

Apiguard
    You might contact The Los Angeles Honey Co and get some Apiguard .
    Larry, the owner is a good man to work with.
    FGMO does not work as it gives you a false sense of security while your hive dies
    Ernie
    Ernie
    My websitehttp://bees4u.com/

I tried the FGMO fogger a few years ago and did not get much of a mite drop over the natural drop. If you want a non-toxic way to drop mites use powdered sugar. It is very effective at dropping phoretic mites. Pre-sift a cup or two then sift again over the brood frames. Catch the sugar in a tray on the bottom board (if solid) or under the bottom board (if screened). Do it 3 times one week apart. Also you can take a cappings scratcher and pull out all the capped drone brood to cut the mite population. You may or may not save the hive, but the investment is minimal. It is worth it to try to kill as many mites as you can because bees from your other hives (assuming you have others) will rob out the infested hive and take mites back with them.

BeeCurious
    Trying to think inside the box...

FGMO fog may be useful if you use it regularly over a long period of time, but it will not knock down a mite population quickly.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

DO not put checkmite in your bees under any conditions. The advantages are not worth it!
    If you can find a beek in your area than has some taktic you might enough from him to treat. YES its illegal, BUT it works and LEAVES no residual like legal treatments. You need a quick knockdown and I dont think apiguard (works great as I use it)will get a knockdown quick enough.

Depending on you're hight temps down there. I'd guess either apiguard or formic acid pads.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by cow pollinater View Post

I am with CP on this one.
    Judging from the first bee pic, your hive is in grave trouble. You have a few cycles of bees which are sick, and thus they will not be able to care for the new larva properly. These sick bees are the now nurse bees...no healthy nurse bees, no healthy larva. My guess would be the queen is possibly compromised as well. This hive has, for sure, one if not more than one virus that has compromised the disease threshold and reeked havoc in your hive.

If you treat you will be perpetuating poor genetics. Your hive has a less than 50% chance to live and make it through the winter as well as brood up for the spring.

The cost to treat will come at a huge price, one that is more pricy than buying a package or nuc in the spring.

Have you costed out some of theses treatments, not cheap? Have you costed out the cost of a new queen which you will need?

Oh yeah...most areas are resistant to check mite and apistan.

Quote Originally Posted by rkr View Post
    You might consider an OA dribble.

I used a "Windex" type sprayer that consistently gave me 5 ML per 10 full "pumps" of the 3.5% solution.

RKR
    This could be a risky move...the windex type sprayer. The chance that you will get some on the frames of the hives could spell danger to the bees. I am told that once it dries and becomes like a white residue, it can actually be poisonous or toxic to the bees. This is why it is dribbled between the frames, or in vapour form.

Last edited by Barry; 12-28-2009 at 10:25 PM. Reason: copyright material

Best way to treat and prevent mites is one a SBB use it have a Drone comb frame and pull it once a week toss it in the freezer for a day put it back keep doing that and your mite count will drop and no chemicals. but its too late for that just start over sorry for your loss.