Default looking for queen classes

I was looking forward to a couple more classes at Cornell's Dyce Lab this summer, but queen rearing and bee breeding will not be taught in 2010.

Are there any similar classes in the northeast?

Default Re: looking for queen classes

huh...150+ views in the past month and no one knows of anywhere teaching a queen rearing class in 2010.

No one in the Northeast.
    North Carolina has announced that they will be going through the state teaching queen rearing and then breeding classes.

Sue Cobey at UCD Bee Biology lab in Davis, Ca., but it's not NE by a really long shot!

http://entomology.ucdavis.edu/course...ses/index.html
    Last edited by RayMarler; 01-20-2010 at 09:17 PM. Reason: added link to Sue Cobey's Queen Rearing Classes
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    ...but it's not NE by a really long shot!
    And it's full! That looks like a very nice program they have.

I believe the VT beekeepers association is doing something with queen rearing this summer. Hop on their site and e-mail Bill Mares an inquiry.

Up here in Maine I do a "making overwintered nucs" workshop where we make up double nucs with Northern Raised queens but we don't have a queen rearing program yet.

Working on it...
    Erin Forbes, EAS Master Beekeeper
    overlandhoney.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    I was looking forward to a couple more classes at Cornell's Dyce Lab this summer, but queen rearing and bee breeding will not be taught in 2010.

Are there any similar classes in the northeast?
    Maybe the Empire State Beekeepers Association should do a mini course at the summer picnic. I'll suggest it.

What about Western NY Beekeepers Club or the Fingerlakes Beekeepers? Maybe one of those groups would do a class. Bob Brachmann is a real good queen rearer in Catturaugus Co. Perhaps Peter Borst could do something like this in his spare time.

Does anyone know what the Southern Adirondack Beekeepers Association has planned for this spring? They put on a good spring program, in April I believe.
    Mark Berninghausen
    The answers are the end. The questions are the journey. Journey on.

Quote Originally Posted by Maine_Beekeeper View Post
    I believe the VT beekeepers association is doing something with queen rearing this summer. Hop on their site and e-mail Bill Mares an inquiry.
    Vermont received a grant to put together a queen rearing program. Participants get nucs, mating nuc equipment, and training in the classroom and field. Unfortunately the program was open only to members, with a limit 8 applicants. The goal is to train them, produce a several thousand queens over the next few years, and use these first students to train others that come along.

We offer a queen rearing workshop in mid-summer that is open to the public, and free. Joining the VT association is requested.

I teach both of the above. I also give presentations on queen rearing to out of state associations.

I also trade labor for training.

Lucky VT beekeepers! That sure sounds like a great program to have!
    I think I'm going to look into that mid-summer workshop.
    Last edited by honeyman46408; 01-30-2010 at 03:07 PM. Reason: UNQ