Thread: Apiguard Use

Default Apiguard Use

When you use Apiguard Foil packs, do the Bees actually eat the gel or does it fumigate the hve over time?

Default Re: Apiguard Use

I'm pretty sure both happens.

It fumigates,but as the bees carry it out of the hive they take it through the brood nest and fumigates the brood.I do not think they eat it.The bees are fumigating the hive by carrying it through the hive.Warmer temps. also makes it fumigate faster.

Thanks for the reply. I have assumed that you remove the supers to insure it does not get in any honey you may harvest. So I also assume that that means any frames of honey for the bees use are okay to leave in. With a 20 day treatment regime, I am sure you must leave the bee stores in place.

What about feeding the bees syrup during the treatment time? Any issues?

Thanks, jeb

I'm nearly certain that you can feed. You just have to make sure that you won't be harvesting any of that "honey", hence the removal of the supers.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

I have never been feeding when i have used it.The first year i used it it was really hot weather and they took dead brood out by the cup fulls.I never did know if it was the heat or i had alot of mites and they were bring out the dead brood the mites had killed.I really like useing it.It seems a little strong and alot of beekeekers here have went to useing half the doseage.

I have been reading the postings regarding Apiguard and am considering using it in 2010. Does anyone do powder sugar treatments in the spring and Apiguard after the June honey harvest? I assume that I am giving up a fall honey harvest if I do Apiguard during the month of August. Is it reasonable to expect that, if we get a fall flow, the bees can draw comb for the next season if we place a super on with combs not drawn? I would still want to make use of the flow even if honey production is not the goal. Also, when the directions say "close" screen bottom boards, does that mean to keep the white board in the slot under the sbb or are they referring to a more elaborate closing of the screen?

Amy Jo