Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Making Recessed Handles

Actually, the sawblade provided with with the copemaster is intended for lateral force, and for cutting sideways.The skillsaw trick seems dangerous and time consuming, and that blade won't stand up to too much of that.

By the way, Ted n Ms, the molding head cutter that was recommended in an old thread seem to have been discontinued by Sears. Any idea of an off-the-shelf replacement that I might look at? I'm not a machinist and can't reshape my own.

Wayne
    I saw some on EBAY not long ago. Don't seem to be any on right now. Keep checking on EBAY.
    I'm not a machinist either, but it's easy to take a grinder and grind a new shape on the cutter blade. Then finsh it off with a flat file.
    Don't think you are on the right road simply because it is a well worn pathway.

I have a great system for making recessed handles that are just like the commercial ones. I don't sell them, but will share with you if you want to know. Requires a 71/4 skill saw, two welding clamps or 2 "C" clamps, and a very simple jig that you build. It will cost about 50 cents to make the jig. After you make the jig, you can make that pretty hand hold in about 30 seconds. Send a self addressed stamped long envelope to P.O. Box 27, Park City Ky, 42160. and I will send you the instructions. No Charge. I just like to help bee keepers. cchoganjr

Mr Hogan,

Would it be possible to put that information here on the forum so we all don't have to send addressed envelopes. Best to use the technology if we can today to save on postage costs.

Thanks,

Jack

I think a router would do a handy job at this. If you make a template at the desired angle you could just drop it on the box and rout.

To JBW..... I will put the info on this when I return to Kentucky in about 2 weeks. I haven't tried, and don't know if you can put attachments on this forum, (I am not the best computer driver in the neighborhood) so it may be best if anyone wants to get the instructions with the color photos and drawings of the process, to e-mail me at cchoganjr@scrtc.com I will send it to you.
    I NEVER charge for anything I do for beekeepers.
    cchoganjr

I made 4 rectangular frames or jigs to use with my table saw and a 3/4" dado blade. The jigs are the following dimensions (inside dimensions!!!) that way you can use whatever scrap lumber you have available. 10 3/8x20 1/2 for deep sides, 10 3/8x18 for deep fronts and backs, 7 3/8x20 1/2 for medium sides and 7 3/8x18 for medium fronts and backs. Center the blade in the appropriate jig and clamp the jig to the fence, set dado depth to 1/2". Place one end of work piece against end of jig while holding the other end up at a 45 degree angle with the side of work piece pressed up against the side of the jig. Lower the piece onto the blade until bottomed out, slide forward and back. Raise the work piece slide to the other side of the jig, Lower onto blade and slide forward and back and you are done. This gives you a professional looking handle that is 6x1 1/2 " and 1/2" deep. Yesterday I cut 80 handles in about 20 minutes. I know it's confusing but my daughter has my lap-top with the photos with her right now. If anyone is interested let me know and I will e-mail the photos to you.

Sarge74

They use a very expensive router bit.
    "Where wisdom is called for, force is of little use."
    Herodotus (circa 485-425 BC), Greek Historian

I have used the Dado and found that I start the cut 1" from the center, and move 1" past the center. I complete the box, and then cut the handles. I clamp a board on the back of the table saw, so that is where I start the cut.

I built a jig to make recessed hand holes that look just like the big boys. The boxes slide down a short ramp onto a saw blade. the shape of the ramp controls the hole profile. I cut the hole in one pass using a two wing dado blade as the primary cutter backed with the standard outside dado blade. I tried many blades before deciding on the 2 wing cutter. this makes a very profesional looking cut.

Hevyduty,

can you post pictures? (both of the handles and the jig)

How long does it take you to cut each handle once the jig is set up?

thanks,

fafrd

Fafrd, I will get pictures tomorow morning and send. As to how long does it take, I just drop the assembled box in the jig and push it 3 inches and flip over to get the other end . I'm a bit lazy and only cut the ends. I spend more time moving boxes into and out of the shop than the time required to cut the hand holes.