Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

votive Wick

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  beekeeper_sd 
#1 ·
I just made a batch of votives the other day using the pre tabbed wicks. Cant remember what size they were but the lady said "here... these are the wicks for the votives". So I used them and I took one home. Nice clam for a little while and now the flame has dimmed down and barely flaiming now. I think it burned too fast. is this right?

What type of wick is used for votives?

#2 ·
I don't have an answer Chef, but I have the same problem. Or maybe the same problem. My wicks kind of "gutter" out. It's almost like I need a bigger week to consume more wax with less pooling. Hoping for an answer here since the last batch of votives are going back in the melting pot.

#4 ·
Chief,
Anything you buy in local crafts stores is sized for parafine candles. Even most of the wick you buy from the bee supply houses is sized for parafine candles. For pure wax candles you will need a much larger wick. Trial and error is the recommended method of finding the right size. Also there are no standards in sizing wicking. Each manufacturer use his own sizing. Furthermore there is a large difference in quality of wick. Bee Services of Terrell Texas (aerts@airmail .net) sells a W05 wick for its votive #773, the diameter of this votive is 1.57 (this votive comes in a can). Hower for a votive in a glass holder #850 with a diameter of 1.38 he reommends a W07 (which is a larger wick).
Janvanhamont

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.