Hybrid View

Default Capturing Feral Bees

My neighbor knows where there is a "wild" honeybee hive in a log. I've never seen it yet but when he mentioned it the first thing I though was that I'd like to go and get it or at least transplant the queen into one of my boxes.

I'm over here in Northern Mexico and don't have much access to beekeeping stuff like all you over there in more developed countries have.

Since I've never seen it I don;t know what to think of it yet. Tomorrow I may go out there and take some pictures to bring back here.

I guess it would be like a cutout. So are these really hard to do? I only have a veil, gloves and smoke.

When would be a good time to do it too? Right now there are no flowers so all the bees are a lot less active.

Thanks for any help.

Default Re: Capturing Feral Bees

Treat it like a cut out using a chain saw. Difficulty rating depends on the ability of the person doing it. If you end up not being successfull it will at least be a learning experience for you. Beware they might be really aggresive so smoke them well during the process.

Inspect the Bees and the Comb well before bringing it home. The last Bee Tree we did the owner wanted us to cut it down after hec got home at five o'clock. We only had time to cut it down plug the entrance with grass and load it on a trailer. Next morning we opened up the log to find it was occupied by more SHB than Bees.

Unless the log is in danger of being moved/removed, bees being killed. I would leave them. I would set out swarm traps in the area and catch the swarms from that hive. Especially if the hive has been there for years. (Probably good genetics) You could probably get 2 swarms a year from it. I have one location like this. They live in an old run down barn that ainít going anywhere anytime soon. Caught a swarm from them early this year. Great honey producers, I havenít seen any mites on them, fast builders. Plan on splitting that hive and let them raise there own queen next year, and capturing another swarm or 2 from the main location.
    Chuck Norris once roundhouse kicked Hulk in the face. Now he hides in the forest and changed his name to Shrek

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Unless the log is in danger of being moved/removed, bees being killed. I would leave them. I would set out swarm traps in the area and catch the swarms from that hive. Especially if the hive has been there for years. (Probably good genetics) You could probably get 2 swarms a year from it. I have one location like this. They live in an old run down barn that ainít going anywhere anytime soon. Caught a swarm from them early this year. Great honey producers, I havenít seen any mites on them, fast builders. Plan on splitting that hive and let them raise there own queen next year, and capturing another swarm or 2 from the main location.
    I like this idea better than me going in and destroying it. This way the established colony is preserved.

Is there any information out there on how to effectively attract swarms?

I seen a swarm about a month and a half ago that went right over me and my hive so I know there are swarms around but I have no idea how to attract them.

Search "swarm lure" or "swarm trap"

I went and looked at this beehive today to see what it would be like.

They seem to be well mannered bees and they weren't real bothered by me being there. Since I couldn't see into the hive very well I took out my smoker and gave the log a few puffs so that I could hear the rumble.

Seems there's a fair amount of bees inside and everything is all strong.

If you'd like to see a picture and read a bit more about it please have a look at my posting here: http://www.beinggreenonline.com/dail...ung-doing-bees (article mentions BeeSource.com as well, thank you people)

Anybody have any advice on how to move these girls?