Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello from KY

Default Hello from KY

Hello to everyone. My wife and I are of course new to beekeeping. We recently moved to KY from NC and Susan commented she had always wanted to keep bees. I read the book beekeeping for Dummies and I was hooked. We have joined Bluegrass beekeepers and tomorrow I pick up my hives at Walter T. Kelley. Last Saturday we took a Beekeeping 101 course at Walter T. Kelley and I gotta say it was top notch. We are both very excited about 2010 and I am sure we will be posting many questions over the next year.

Default Re: Hello from KY

Welcome from another Kentuckian. Here is a list of beekeeping schools coming up in Kentucky.

January 23 .......... Eastern Kentucky Beekeeping School, Hazard
    February 6 .......... Allen County Beekeeping School, Scottsville
    February 20 ........ Southeast Beekeeping School, Whitley City
    February 27 ........ Northeast Kentucky Beekeeping School, Morehead (NEW SCHOOL)
    March 6 .............. Audubon Beekeeping School, Henderson
    March 13 ............ Bluegrass Beekeeping School, Frankfort
    Ashland, Kentucky

Smile Welcome from West KY

Hello from Ballard County (just outside Paducah in extreme West KY). The schools are top notch, we really enjoyed and learned a lot a couple of years ago. Last year was too busy cleaning up the ice storm mess to attend the schools but looking forward to this year. Good luck, and remember things may not go as you expect the first year, if not, just hang in there, ask a lot of questions and enjoy the hobbie.

Tim Goodin

welcome to the forum.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

Smile Re: Hello from KY

Welcome, from Morgantown, I'm about 35 miles from Clarkson, home of Walter t Kelly, about 25 miles from bowling green....... I plan on having queens and nucs in the spring for sale, weather permitting, I made and sell limited workwooding items.... If I can be of any assistance let me know..... Attend all the workshops that you can,, read read read all that you can .... Michael Bush has a great website.... (He also post here on this forum)... Welcome to the great world of honey bees and good beekeeping..... Merry Christmas to you and your family.....

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I appreciate the training info and plan on taking advantage of it. I picked up my hives yesterday and will start the assembly this weekend.
    Thanks again and looking forward to a long and rewarding beekeeping experience.

We will have nucs available in April. I am about 45 minutes south of you. Kelleys will also be selling our nucs if you need some. Looks like the prospects for a good crop are great if we just dont get another drought...we will a good crop.

Hello and welcome from a Beekeeper not far from you. Hope to get to meet you some time next year as we are away at the present time. We might be able to exchange some bee experiences. Many greetings for the holidays and hope for a good crop in the next year.

Have you been to a beekeeping seminar for honey extraction ?

Your wife will be eating the decapped honey like bubble gum.
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! www.greenanything.net/honey-bees.php

I have not been to a class for extraction but would certainly like to.
    I remember when I was a kid living in Georgia and I would go to my grandmothers house in Harlan County Kentucky. My uncle there was a beekeeper and I used to eat so much comb honey I would get sick to my stomach. I think those early memories are a big part of why I want to do this now, along with my wife's desire to keep bees.

welcome to the forum

Welcome to Kentucky, and to beekeeping!
    David W.

Hello from St Marys GA. I am from KY as well, I own a house in Franklin KY. Most my beekeeping comes from Morgantown KY.

Good Luck to you and yours
    Shawn Hines

Hello from Central Ky, i'll be picking up my bees this saturday.."Excited, cant wait"!! I have plenty of equipment, i have 3 deep hive bodies and about 9 deep supers available. What i havent decided yet is either to start off with one hive body or use 2 hive bodies in ky. Alot of ppl have different outlooks on that discussion. Alot depends on the space you give, not enough they could swarm...etc. One hive body vs two hive bodies!

If you have no drawn comb one hive body if you have drawn comb 2

Quote Originally Posted by slickbrightspear View Post
    If you have no drawn comb one hive body if you have drawn comb 2
    Just putting a new bee package in one hive body! How long does it normally take to get drawn out on an average and if i should add another hive body or go with a deep super!...I see kits that have 2 hive bodies and then several supers and i see one hive body with supers on top...Does a hive have a stronger colony with 2 hive bodies or are they wanting to produce more honey? Im looking at it as a hobbie only and whats best as a living environment for them!...Thanks

Welcome, sounds like you are on the right path!

If you feed where you are at it should take about 4-5 weeks thats a rough estimate it also depends on what the bees decide to do. sometimes longer sometimes less. my experience is that they build up faster the more crowded they are.

Quote Originally Posted by slickbrightspear View Post
    If you feed where you are at it should take about 4-5 weeks thats a rough estimate it also depends on what the bees decide to do. sometimes longer sometimes less. my experience is that they build up faster the more crowded they are.
    Thank you very much! I was wanting to start 2 packages but they just had one package left! So what i was wanting to do is build up a strong colony the best possible way! i didnt really know how long it took but now i will visually be looking around then. Do you think its best to take the outter frames that are usually less active and move them in one frame as well or just leave it all up to them?

when they have 7 frames drawn i usually move the outer undrawn frames to the inside and add a box on top