Default Howdy from the Lone Star State

I'm new to the forum and beekeeping!

I have sitting in my office two assembled hives and one unassembled hive ... Orderred my bees just outside of Houston for an April 2010 delivery ... Joined the Collin County Hobby Beekeepers Association looking forward to their "hands on" learning program beginning in January ... and have been enjoying various books and dvds on bees!

Ever since I was kid, I've always thought bees were extremely fascinating little creatures. Now I'm in my 40s with 3 kids eager to join the adventure! My Wife, however, is questioning the new hobby in hopes that I might decide to collect stamps instead.

The 2010 apiary will be in Athens, Texas!

Robert Smith

Default Re: Howdy from the Lone Star State

well howdy robert (and I'ma guess'en you might know what that implies if u'r from texas).

now where might Collin County b? Is that over towards Garland or is it out around the Athens area? Both areas appear to have very active bee clubs as far as I can tell.

Howdy!...You will be 25 miles south of me. I am outside of Canton.
    tecumseh---Collin is NE of Dallas. Out there north of Terrell.
    Welcome aboard.
    LtlWilli

Hi Robert-

Welcome to the wonderful, rewarding and challenging world of beekeeping. Just finished my first serious year with ten hives. I'm out in the "wide open" side of TX...the panhandle.

As you are gathering stuff to read, make sure you include George Imirie's "pink pages". George was in beekeeping over 70 years adn shares a wealth of knowledge. Someone posted a complete indexed set on this forum. Do a search and I'm sure you will find the link.

Wish you lots of fun and success

Default Apiary Location!

I had originally thought that I would have a backyard hive in our subdivision where we live in the City of Garland in NE Dallas County. Well, let's just say that beekeeping was not well received by the Homeowner's Association.

I then turned my attention to some working ranch acreage we own in Athens, Texas on the way to Palestine. I contacted the Henderson County Agent, and he was very pleased to hear of my new project! Multiple hives are now in the planning!

In the meantime, I joined the Collin County Beekeeper's Association because of where we live and the ease of making meetings/classes. It would probably be a good idea for me to join the East Texas Association due to the hive location. Would there be much difference in nectar sources in North Texas vs East Texas?

Robert
    Last edited by rasetruscan; 12-15-2009 at 11:58 PM.

Welcome. Here's how to get your wife involved: Take her to a beekeeping seminar ! If they have samples of honey comb, she'll fall in love with the idea.
    There's bound to be something local, somewhere.

Trust me, my wife had to be hand cuffed to keep her from decapped honey comb. Like candy to a baby.
    Honey is the best thing ever discovered ! www.greenanything.net/honey-bees.php

welcome
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson