Default Need Info from California Beekeepers

I accepted a job in San Jose this week that will move me from Salt Lake City to the San Jose area, possibly Santa Cruz.

I'm curious if there are any special beekeeping laws down there.

Here in Utah we only have to register our hives. Each license is good for up to 20 hives and it's only $10 per year. (I only have two langstroth hives)

Any info will be appreciated. I'll have a place to keep the hives for a few months but would like to move them down with me when possible.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: Need Info from California Beekeepers

Can't speak to the specific laws, but from my time in Santa Cruz, I suspect they award medals to beekeepers. You'll like it, it's the polar opposite of Utah.
    Is it solipsistic in here, or is it just me?

Ha ha, I think everywhere in the country is the polar opposite to Utah. I love the lifestyle here as an avid snowboarder, mtn biker, rock climber but the people are incredibly weird here. I do hear Santa Cruz is entirely different but still has an incredibly active lifestyle.

Probably have to register with your county ag office. Here it's 10$ per location per year. Does not matter how many hives. Urban bees may not be allowed though, you need to check city code enforecement or zoning requirements. Most urban areas limit to 2 hives if allowed.

Awwwww, come on, Utah isn't that bad. There's nothing wrong with Utah that wouldn't be fixed by a high pressure enema.

I read an article that listed the Santa Cruz area as one of the highest densities for backyard bees...so I'm guessing it's safe to say that it's legal. I'd like to see if I couldn't find someone in the actual area to give the low down.

Give Mountain Feed and Farm in Ben Lomond (10 miles from Santa Cruz) a call and ask for Karla. She is their resident beekeeper and is involved with the SC club, and I'm sure could answer your questions.

Good luck with the move. I spend a lot of time in Santa Cruz and surrounding mountains - going there right after work today, in fact. Great area.

I will do, thank you!

I'm curious all of what there is to do out there. I have two rooms in my house full of equipment for fun including climbing gear, mountain biking, wakeboarding, surfing, kiteboarding, longboarding, mountain boarding...you name it. What all do you do there and what are you aware of that is really good?

Well, its really more of what is it you want to do. Each of the activities you list are options "fun including climbing gear, mountain biking, wakeboarding, surfing, kiteboarding, longboarding, mountain boarding...you name it."

Good fishing down there.
    There must be a few Santa Cruz beekeepers on bee source. Try starting another thread using the word Santa Cruz in the title.
    Dan

You sound like the outdoors type of person, California is the place for you then! You can surf first thing in the morning and then head to the Sierras to snowboard the afternoon away!! A few of the ski resorts also have mountain biking where you can take a lift to the top and bike down. Obviously Santa Cruz is good for surfing, just ease into the "local" thing. And I am also pretty sure Santa Cruz accepts beekeepers very well, as they are a "sustainable living" type of community!

Like Dan said, if your into fishing, Santa Cruz is awesome! You can rent a skiff on the pier and go out and fish for all kinds of things, and don't forget to set a crab pot to check on the way in............cant beat fresh Dungeness or rock crab!!
    Coyote Creek Bees

Check with the county Government you intend to move into the jurisdiction of....

Try here: http://www.co.santa-cruz.az.us/com_d...opmentCode.pdf

...as a start. If nothing found in the .gov site, ask a few questions of these folks: http://santacruzbees.com/BeeGuild/About_us.html

...and a local news story: http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/ci_18351472

One last link: http://www.santacruz.com/news/2010/0...zing_with_bees

...might have what you are looking for!