Default bees and chemicals

We try to do as much organic gardening as possible at the house. We have plum, nectarine trees. a large rose and vegetable Garden. Several red maples and all sorts of flowers and plants. My question, is there some place that I can go to make sure what I use around the yard are not harmful to bees? We will be starting off this growing season with two hives. We have 1/2 and acer of land. I would like to be able to take care of the plants but not hurt the bees.

Thanks for the help
    Brooklyn

Default Re: bees and chemicals

Just read your lables thoroughly. Most of them state if the chemical is harmful to honeybees and other beneficial insects. I RARELY use anything even organic. Rare application of BT for web-worms and corn earworms is about the extent of it. Sevin is definitely harmful, so if you use it, apply at dusk and keep it off the flowers. Pyrethrins are harmful- use the same standards by spraying after the bees are in for the night, so that it can dry overnight, at which time the toxicity is very low. If you have neighboring farmers or gardeners, you might consider telling them you have bees and see if they would agree to timed/limited treatment with pesticides.
    So many weeds.......so little time.