Thread: Honey gone bad?

Default Honey gone bad?

Could our honey have gone bad? This is our first real year of bee keeping and we collected a few frames of honey. Although the frames were not perfect, we chose frames that were predominantly capped honey. There were some cells that were not capped yet though. Also, we had not used a queen excluder (lesson learned!) and so the frames had some bee larvae on them. We cut as much of this out as we could, then extracted and filtered the honey into mason jars. The honey came out clear and wonderful. However, it's been a few months and now the jars smell funny. It almost smells like squash! Also, the honey is not quite as clear any more. It's not crystallized, but it does have some chunky looking things in it.

I understand that capped honey will preserve without any trouble, but could our honey be going bad because of the condition of the frames we collected? Will it be bad to eat? Is there anything I can do to save the remaining jars?

Default Re: Honey gone bad?

sounds like its fermenting, its turning into mead, sounds like your moisture was high in your honey and could be because the uncapped cells of honey, a Honey Refractometer could help tell you what the moisture in your honey is, I don't use one, I only extract from capped cells but that doesn't always mean I will not get high moisture in my honey but helps with the odd's.
    Ted

Can you describe the smell it might have if this were happening? It smells a lot like pumpkin to me. Also, is there anything I can do about this?

once it starts fermenting I dont think there is anything you can do. I heard some on here when they get honey with a moisture level higher that 17 percent they punt the supers in a small room like a closet and put a dehumidifier in it until it test 17 percent or lower in moisture, I have never done this, but as for after it starts fermenting I dont think there is anything you can do.
    Ted