Hybrid View

Default another warre question

Thank you all for your answers on the other thread , I think what I am going to do is have 2 warres , doing one in a traditional langstroth method of mangment ( supering etc ) and another according to the warre book so to say . The more reading im doing i guesse im softning more towards a warre esque style , but i want to compare and just see for myself .

I do have another question though , in pretty much all the plans I have seen for the warre hive they all have whats called the quilt and a roof of some sort . I noticed I think its was Bwrangler who had his concept on his site for a warre and it looked like there was only a migratory cover on top and no quilt or roof .

What are yalls thoughts on that as far as feasability . I live in central texas ( Killeen/Ft. Hood area were it is warm and hot most the year( my wife who is from Korea says we just have 4 variations of summer instead of 4 seasons . Would I be better going ahead and making the quilt and roof or does it in yalls mind make that much of a differance ?

thank you again
    Jeff

Default Re: another warre question

Yes it makes a lot of difference. The quilt box is not to keep the hive warm but rather to absorb moisture out of the hive. The quilt box is filled with saw dust which absorbs the moisture out of the hive and then evaporates out of the saw dust. So yes it is a very important part of the hive. Hope this helps.
    Closed ears could eventually lead to empty stomachs
    www.customwoodkitsinternational.com

The quilt or cushion was also a feature of the original Langstroth and Dadant hive designs, so this is not "new." I sometimes wonder why we all switched to the current inner cover instead?
    The World Beehive Project - I build one of every popular beehive in the world!

Racehorse you are exactly right. I also wonder why the quilt box is no longer used. It is a very useful addition to the hive. I also dropped in on your site. It looks like you are doing some good things there and I would just like to say keep up the good work.
    Closed ears could eventually lead to empty stomachs

From what I recall reading, the quilt used by Langstroth style hives in the 1800s was for keeping the hive warm or keeping propolis off of frames rather than for keeping moisture away from the bees. I'll have to scrounge a bit -- I think it was Gleanings in Bee Culture or some other old literature.

Matt

Matt,
    Your exactly right! today that quilt has evolved to a sheet of plastic or here in Germany a few pages of newsprint.
    Procrastination is the assassination of inspiration.

The box on a Warré is essentially vapour-permeable loft insulation. It serves the double purpose of helping to retain heat while allowing moisture to escape without causing a condensation problem.

Johann Thur's article explains exactly why it is important to retain heat in the hive, along with the other essential elements of the hive atmosphere.
    The Barefoot Beekeeper http://www.biobees.com