Default honey flow in Fla

Can anyone tell me when the honey flow around Tampa Fla.is.Also laws concerning out of state bees,Im from Ohio.

Default Re: honey flow in Fla

I can't help you with the flow but there are several and most in FL start with maple bloom. As far as entering you need to have your bees inspected and you need the inspection certificate with the bees when entering at the ag station as when leaving with them. Sutton would(should) have your flow answers for you.

Beeslave is correct on the inspection certificate from your current state to enter FL with your bees. I am on the east coast across from Tampa so blooms should generally be close to the same:
    Dec/Jan/Feb- maple and oak
    Mar/April- orange blossom
    May/June- palmetto
    July/August- cabbage palm
    Sept/Oct brazilian pepper
    Wildflowers all summer, cant remember when mangrove blooms. Hope this helps of course it is all weather dependant and subject to change.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

In addition to the above..willow late jan/feb. NOT all areas have maple and willlow. You need to be near swamp (water) for a good flow from either maple or willow.

What's the option if your state has no bee inspections, not even an inspection program?
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Hmmm, thats a good question cause I know you are going to have to stop at an ag. check point or meet with a state inspector at some point. Maybe Sutton knows and will jump back on here. I don't leave the state with my bees but he runs out of state so he might have the answer to that. Good luck.
    A government large enough to provide everything you need is strong enough to take everything you have. T. Jefferson

You will want to check with the Florida Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Here is a link to the page that will send you in the right direction:

http://www.doacs.state.fl.us/pi/plan...ry/apiary.html

Another good resouce for you is the Mellito Files, a newsletter put out by the University of Florida's beekeeping section. I know that they tend to list what is blooming in what areas of the state:

http://www.entnemdept.ufl.edu/honeyb.../melitto.shtml

Hope this helps,

Deb
    "Life is like riding a bike. It is impossible to maintain your balance while standing still."...Linda Brakeall

You can call Cathy at the office. THe first time I went down Lawrence Cutts was the chief honcho and he let me come in and inspection was done when I arrived. I would think Jerry Hayes would work with you, he is really a nice guy. call the office and cath can lead you in the right direction. Phone number is 352-372-3505 ext 114

When an individual migrates bees from one state to another and they are carrying a valid inspection certificate, do they have to be inspected at each state that they are carrying bees thru

For example, if I took I-95 down with my final destination being Florida, would I need to show this inspection certificate to North Carolina, South Carolina, George and then Florida authorities.

Are there specific inspection stations along the way for my hives to be inspected. Thanks.

I am not aware of any inspectionstations other than California, arizona and florida. Alot of states have laws stating you have to be inspected but no inspection stations.